Ivermecin dose question? Having to do with mites and lice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by willkatdawson, Oct 12, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I have some Ivermectin that the vet gave me to treat a dog I was fostering with mange. It's in a bottle and I would pull some out and drip it on her food. I have some left and would like to treat my standard Cochin roo who has mites and lice. I have tried everything on him DE, sevin, poultry dust...with no luck. I assume I would place it behind his neck but I wonder how much to use. Th vial is not marked but the dose I gave the dog was 0.3ml once a daily. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I have been told it is 1/2 cc for standards and 1/4 cc for bantams. And yes on the back of the neck. I dont know about the one you have. Everybody else I have spoke with uses the cattle pour on at the feed store.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  3. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    stupid question I know..cc is the same as ml isn't it?

4. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Yes.

5. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    And its not a stupid question. Everything you read says so many ml and the stupid suringes usually always have cc measurements. I have a friend that is a nurse and asked her why that is, her response was I dont know, but they are the same thing.

6. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    I use ivermectin cattle/swine (injectable-this is what you probably got from the vet). This is what the vets use for the end of heartworm treatment. I have used it for over twenty years on all my dogs/cats what ever animal is here. The dosage is 1 ml.-110# of weight. I give my lil min pins around 6 drops and they average 6-8#. Since using this I have not had ear mites ect... I use this for heart worms and regular worms except tape. The injectable is probably stronger then the pour on. For Domestic birds(depending on size) just rub a little on the skin. I really always use it orally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by