Mites/lice

Pepperdog

Chirping
Feb 4, 2019
I was given a chicken long story. It has mites have treated With seven dust and ivermectin pour on. Will this work to Captain jacks
IMG_2280.png

That is not labeled for use on animals, just for plants. Spinosad can be used on poultry when it's formulate for that, Elector PSP is used, but it's pretty expensive. If you can get a product containing permethrin, those are more affordable and effective. For mites you have to treat at least three times at weekly intervals, the chemicals kill the bugs but not the eggs, which will continue to hatch, so you have to do repeat treatments until you get them all. You have to treat the bird(s) and the coop at the same time. The coop has to be cleaned out, all bedding and nesting material removed and discarded, spray the coop getting all nooks and crannies, and replace bedding/nesting material with fresh.
2212611.jpg

41xLaP0vFqL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

That is not labeled for use on animals, just for plants. Spinosad can be used on poultry when it's formulate for that, Elector PSP is used, but it's pretty expensive. If you can get a product containing permethrin, those are more affordable and effective. For mites you have to treat at least three times at weekly intervals, the chemicals kill the bugs but not the eggs, which will continue to hatch, so you have to do repeat treatments until you get them all. You have to treat the bird(s) and the coop at the same time. The coop has to be cleaned out, all bedding and nesting material removed and discarded, spray the coop getting all nooks and crannies, and replace bedding/nesting material with fresh.
View attachment 3590502
View attachment 3590504
He has never been in the coop quarantined, I have used all of the above. We just got him

If you just got him then it may take awhile longer. It can take weeks to be sure they are all gone. Where ever he is being kept has to be treated when he is treated. The mites will hide in nooks, crannies, bedding, etc, and eggs will be there too. So treat him and where he is living at weekly intervals until you are no longer seeing any. The Elector PSP is supposed to work in one treatment if you want to use that, it's just much more expensive.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

If you just got him then it may take awhile longer. It can take weeks to be sure they are all gone. Where ever he is being kept has to be treated when he is treated. The mites will hide in nooks, crannies, bedding, etc, and eggs will be there too. So treat him and where he is living at weekly intervals until you are no longer seeing any. The Elector PSP is supposed to work in one treatment if you want to use that, it's just much more expensive.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Even Elector PSP usually will not be able to kill all mites at one time. I think it's because you will not likely get it on every mite and egg. I used Elector PSP before, still need to repeat 3 times until all mites gone. And also permethrin powder does NOT work well for me. I used permethrin 10 from TSC and soak every chickens in the mix to kill mites. Lice is easy, permethrin (including powder) or spinosad can easily get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom