Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

~~Quote: Originally Posted by klj491 View Post Unfortunately, the child growing inside of me will be a constant reminder that I wasn't good enough. :'( Thanks for the hugs though.

Maybe this is not the place for this conversation..............but you are one of us and so your troubles are ours also..............
I am OLD.................and hopefully wiser............
I am here to tell you that you are GOOD ENOUGH.............If you just think about what kind of personality it takes to do
what we do...Then maybe you can see your good points.............. I do not know you, but I know chickens people.
Generally we are soft, caring, loving, caretakers, and commit ourselves to the end.
Your baby is sooooooo lucky to have a future Mom like you........
And that guy didn't deserve you.....................so there..................You are loved and you will get through this..............
highfive.gif

I have the best DH... Since I hurt my back two years ago and had to close my business I have really enjoyed our little farm and raising what I can, He has helped me build and add whatever I want ( and what our one acre can support) when I told him I wanted to incubate and raise chickens and turkeys for the table he went all in. He is in the process of building me a new nesting box system in preparation for the new hens that should start laying next month...

Love love love my guy of 26 years
love.gif

I am no longer living vicariously thru all of you. I have finally set my eggs.

2 Sulmtaler
2 Black Marans (Daddy is a splash Marans or EE= Olive Egger or Blue Marans)
2 Mix
4 Bresse
5 Barnevelders
5 Basque
5 Legbars
8 Araucana
14 Red Dorkings
and a few more I can't remember.

DAY 21 here - I have made sure that there is plenty of humidity so fingers crossed.
There are no chirps at all and they just well look like eggs! -
he.gif
darn.

Come on little chick monsters! Prove my Bator works !!!!!!!!

There is a small mark on the top of one of the eggs that I did not notice before. I don't know if it is a little start of a pip or just my wishful thinking!

You all know I have been here twice before with this bator and got ZILCH!!!!!! I am hoping that something will hatch this time. At least I know they are chicken eggs. Last time the ones in the post could have been anything at all - Even Crocodile eggs! lol -

I am just
pop.gif
and
fl.gif

Oes

Last edited:
Oh! That is a problem then.. hmm..
I do not put water in the bottom tray of mine, I just use a couple of soaking wet sponges and lay them inside. I have had too much trouble trying to get the water back out if the humidity gets too high, the sponges work great for me!

Sponges would work if they are already in use and the person can get the right amount of sponge in there. On the last 3 days of lockdown I actually use a women's Sanitary Napkin. To put it nicely. They will absorb a lot of water. I never had to refill it during the 3 days.

Thank you Farmer Viola! it was your suggestion on one of these hatch alongs to switch to the dry hatch method that got me to switch. I went from 42% hatch rate up to 84%. I could not be happier!
wee.gif

WOW really!!
yesss.gif
ha you just made my day... no, my entire week... that makes me feel so good!
big_smile.png
42% to 84% is huge!!! NICE JOB!!!!

I think I was just too old for the other one.

I am almost finished with my new coop. I have 40 chickens sleeping in a 5X7X4 coop. They all fit but they need more room. My new one is 6x16x7. We are going to have really cold weather (for here) Sunday night. I was wondering if I should wait until after the cold to move them. I know being close together keeps them warmer and they won't be used to the new place. How do you get chickens to change coops? Lock the old one? And I can watch them from my window.

I love how you have used a wall and a window from your house. You can check on the chickens without going outside!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom