Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

I am on day 22. I set 16 eggs from my backyard mix and 5 shipped bantam eggs. All were moving and happy when I went into lockdown. I now have 14 from my flock and 2 bantams in the brooder, 1 from my flock in the incubator (I am not sure he will make it) and 4 eggs doing nothing. I am very happy for my first hatch. I have learned a lot from everyone here!

That's great!!! Watch out this hatching business is addictive
big_smile.png

Day 21 and still no chicks, no pips, no movement , nada nada nada, why oh why oh why. Please baby chicks hatch for me.
Don't give up...
I had my first one hatch ( day22) and have one more pipped......
out of 12 eggs...sometimes they are just a little late.............
( they did not read the book
gig.gif
)
Hoping all goes well for you...........

wee.gif

My Daughter is really getting into the hatching and raising, loves to candle and such, she looked online and wants to get some Phoenix eggs to hatch or chicks...!!!! Then freaked when she saw the price lol

I got mine from...https://www.facebook.com/BunchesOfFeathers

They were pretty decent price. Ordered 8 and all were fertile. Only one was a quitter at day 10.

I think he has 16+ silver and gold for $40 includes s/h.

I couldn't help myself, went to the feed store to get feed and they have there spring chicks, lol, cause I bought so much feed she gave me a good deal on chicks, got 8 for a buck a piece...lol... I swear DH isn't going to allow me to go back hahaha

SCORE!

I'm reading all your worries and hope things are working out better. With that said, .....
I'm officially freaking out right now! I can see that my humidity has been too high by the air sac size :( This is day 17. Lockdown supposed to be tomorrow. These guys aren't ready. Actually, the Ameraucana egg air sac has taken a drastic dip in the past day. I drew the lines yesterday. So I'd be comfortable locking that one, but the others I'm sure would drown! I've decreased humidity the past day to 35%, and increased temp a tad. The reason for this is there is another thread here on BYC that talks about maran eggs differing needs in incubation. Up until day 16, everything has been running 45-53% most the time with 99.6*F. It's my last ditch effort to increase sac size before lockdown. 22 eggs total, all moving well, about 5-6 with clear on the pointy part still. Well! I guess I'll hope for the best, but feel like I'll wait until day 19 or so for lockdown so I can buy time. Argh!!!!
Your suggestions are appreciated. Be gentle ;)

I'm reading all your worries and hope things are working out better. With that said, .....
I'm officially freaking out right now! I can see that my humidity has been too high by the air sac size
sad.png
This is day 17. Lockdown supposed to be tomorrow. These guys aren't ready. Actually, the Ameraucana egg air sac has taken a drastic dip in the past day. I drew the lines yesterday. So I'd be comfortable locking that one, but the others I'm sure would drown! I've decreased humidity the past day to 35%, and increased temp a tad. The reason for this is there is another thread here on BYC that talks about maran eggs differing needs in incubation. Up until day 16, everything has been running 45-53% most the time with 99.6*F. It's my last ditch effort to increase sac size before lockdown. 22 eggs total, all moving well, about 5-6 with clear on the pointy part still. Well! I guess I'll hope for the best, but feel like I'll wait until day 19 or so for lockdown so I can buy time. Argh!!!!
Your suggestions are appreciated. Be gentle
wink.png
I'll bet they are fine. You would be surprised..at just how much more air is in there than what is showing. When I've helped a chick out, which is many a time because of one reason or another, I always find that the air sac reaches down beside the body more that the pencil mark. And it isn't because the chick was shrink wrapped, it is absorbing the yolk would be my guess, and it has more air sac room, the round air sac actually is open to the side around the body. Most of the time, not always. Try not to worry too much, just put them in lock down..I'm going into lock down tomorrow too. Little Bantam Cochins. Their air sacs look great. Some smaller than others. Then, I have some LF cochins going in on Mon. Those air sacs are scary looking..too much, up one side, or both..saddle I'm afraid. Will have to watch how things are going on day 20. They get smushed in there..for lack of a better word..smushed when they have saddle air sacs. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom