Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

I'll bet they are fine.  You would be surprised..at just how much more air is in there than what is showing.   When I've helped a chick out, which is many a time because of one reason or another, I always find that the air sac reaches down beside the body more that the pencil mark.  And it isn't because the chick was shrink wrapped, it is absorbing the yolk would be my guess, and it has more air sac room, the round air sac actually is open to the side around the body.  Most of the time, not always.   Try not to worry too much, just put them in lock down..I'm going into lock down tomorrow too. Little Bantam Cochins.   Their air sacs look great.  Some smaller than others.  Then, I have some LF cochins going in on Mon.   Those air sacs are scary looking..too much, up one side, or both..saddle I'm afraid.  Will have to watch how things are going on day 20.   They get smushed in there..for lack of a better word..smushed when they have saddle air sacs.   :D

Thanks for that reassurance! I'm eager to hear about your hatch when the time comes :)

I'm reading all your worries and hope things are working out better. With that said, .....
I'm officially freaking out right now! I can see that my humidity has been too high by the air sac size
sad.png
This is day 17. Lockdown supposed to be tomorrow. These guys aren't ready. Actually, the Ameraucana egg air sac has taken a drastic dip in the past day. I drew the lines yesterday. So I'd be comfortable locking that one, but the others I'm sure would drown! I've decreased humidity the past day to 35%, and increased temp a tad. The reason for this is there is another thread here on BYC that talks about maran eggs differing needs in incubation. Up until day 16, everything has been running 45-53% most the time with 99.6*F. It's my last ditch effort to increase sac size before lockdown. 22 eggs total, all moving well, about 5-6 with clear on the pointy part still. Well! I guess I'll hope for the best, but feel like I'll wait until day 19 or so for lockdown so I can buy time. Argh!!!!
Your suggestions are appreciated. Be gentle
wink.png

I never run the humidity that high until day 18...35% is normal or even a tad lower until the 18th

I'm reading all your worries and hope things are working out better. With that said, .....
I'm officially freaking out right now! I can see that my humidity has been too high by the air sac size
sad.png
This is day 17. Lockdown supposed to be tomorrow. These guys aren't ready. Actually, the Ameraucana egg air sac has taken a drastic dip in the past day. I drew the lines yesterday. So I'd be comfortable locking that one, but the others I'm sure would drown! I've decreased humidity the past day to 35%, and increased temp a tad. The reason for this is there is another thread here on BYC that talks about maran eggs differing needs in incubation. Up until day 16, everything has been running 45-53% most the time with 99.6*F. It's my last ditch effort to increase sac size before lockdown. 22 eggs total, all moving well, about 5-6 with clear on the pointy part still. Well! I guess I'll hope for the best, but feel like I'll wait until day 19 or so for lockdown so I can buy time. Argh!!!!
Your suggestions are appreciated. Be gentle
wink.png

the pointy part is the yolk sac...that gets absorbed the last sec...I wouldn't worry I'm most certain they hatch

We all have to remember that what works for 1 person's set up can be disaster in someone else's set up. We all have to try different things to find what works for us. Every question asked will get a variety of answers depending on the experiences of the person answering. That doesn't make the answer wrong, but it could be wrong for the person asking. Hatching variables all depend on the way the bator is set up, ambient humidity & temperature & even altitude and the type of eggs being hatched. I try to remind people of these factors when I answer hatching questions. I have to make changes to my own set up depending on weather or even which room I put the bator in. We all need to remember there isn't just 1 right answer & additional information on a situation is often needed to answer fully & accurately.
I do not get offended when someone adds info to something I say. There are way too many people who do.

We did our Day 10 candle today and things are looking good! We do have a couple that don't have any veining...should we leave them in and check them at a different time or go ahead and pull them?

[COLOR=0000CD]We did our Day 10 candle today and things are looking good! We do have a couple that don't have any veining...should we leave them in and check them at a different time or go ahead and pull them?[/COLOR]

If they are completely clear at day 10 you can pull them. If you have any doubt, leave them in. I rarely candle until lockdown unless my bators are over stuffed & I need space. I'm really bad about over stuffing my bators. I usually hatch in 1 & stack layers of eggs in the other 2 until lockdown when they go to the hatcher. Nothing like a game of Egg Tetris. ;)

Back
Top Bottom