Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

what breeds?
I noticed you have a "pepper" I do too...she's a frizzled cochin...she's got a little chick she hatched last weekend....a silkie chick but she doesn't mind lol

The rooster was a speckled Sussex, the bantam was a polish or a Cochin.

Pepper is my Welsummer, I wish my Pepper would go broody.

Pepper :)

Last edited:
Just found this thread. We put 18 shipped eggs (mixed eggs from a fellow BYC) in our homemade incubator 2/1. The post office was not nice to the box. The box said hold at PO and they put it out for delivery. So it rode around on a truck all day and then was put on it's side out in the snow on my front porch. I have no idea how long it sat there since I was home in the morning when I wanted to pick it up but had to leave that day and didn't get home until 7.
We let them sit and reach room temp, then set them but didn't turn them for 5 days. Our incubator hasn't been maintaining a very steady temp. It's fluctuating 3 degrees. I'm going to try a different part of the house for the next batch. I candled last night and we have 5 eggs that have good development and 3 unknowns (shells too dark to tell what's in there). If those 5 hatch, I consider that a pretty good hatch rate for our first hatch, and for shipped eggs.

We're going to set some local silkie eggs as soon as these are done.

Here are the eggs we set. We have two of the larger blue ones and three of the small brown ones that are definitely developing. The two olive eggs are dark but too dark to see veins. One of the large brown ones is questionable. I see a dark mass but can't really seen any veins. The small blue ones are clear and the rest had blood rings.

Last edited:
Just found this thread. We put 18 shipped eggs (mixed eggs from a fellow BYC) in our homemade incubator 2/1. The post office was not nice to the box. The box said hold at PO and they put it out for delivery. So it rode around on a truck all day and then was put on it's side out in the snow on my front porch. I have no idea how long it sat there since I was home in the morning when I wanted to pick it up but had to leave that day and didn't get home until 7.
We let them sit and reach room temp, then set them but didn't turn them for 5 days. Our incubator hasn't been maintaining a very steady temp. It's fluctuating 3 degrees. I'm going to try a different part of the house for the next batch. I candled last night and we have 5 eggs that have good development and 3 unknowns (shells too dark to tell what's in there). If those 5 hatch, I consider that a pretty good hatch rate for our first hatch, and for shipped eggs.

We're going to set some local silkie eggs as soon as these are done.

Here are the eggs we set. We have two of the larger blue ones and three of the small brown ones that are definitely developing. The two olive eggs are dark but too dark to see veins. One of the large brown ones is questionable. I see a dark mass but can't really seen any veins. The small blue ones are clear and the rest had blood rings.

welcome

From what I have heard, rotating the pointed end of an egg upwards is bad, is this true and if so why?

This can put the aircell in the wrong spot or cause it to detach if it gets bumped around, or in late development it can cause the chicks to be malpositioned for pipping and hatching. I think those are the problems with it and its more common for shipped eggs to have those issues.

from my most recent hatch in this here hatch a long....

Salmon Faverolles - 1 week old

the little one always tries to go under the bigger one's legs
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom