Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

What breed are these chicks?

Salmon Faverolles
smile.png

here are some adult Favs:

(photo belongs to byc user sahwithchicks)

Oh my goodness!!! I want some of those!!! how beautiful!!

eeee! I know right!!! :) :) I think this was the first 'rare breed' I ever fell in love with / obsessed over... have tried hatching fav eggs 2 times... first time was infertile.. 2nd time got 2 chicks, hoping at least 1 is female
fl.gif
and ordered more in March haha!

Lol, I think I'm going to have to slow down for a bit... if the eggs i have in the incubator do well I will have over fifty chickens lol... DH may finally say enough..lol

Well guys since im not sure exactly what day my hen went broody, i dont know exactly what day they are supposed to hatch but i know they are supposed to hatch this week. CANT WAIT * fingers crossed *

I read that you don't count the day you set as day 1, you count the next day. But now on another thread I just read that if you set before noon you count that day as day 1.
What do you guys do? I set the morning of the 31st. If I count that day, then tomorrow is lock down. If I start counting on the 1st then I have another day before lockdown.
What to do!?

Yes, if you set in the morning, then count that day as day one. That means tomorrow in the morning, Monday, will be lock down.

Salmon Faverolles
smile.png

here are some adult Favs:

(photo belongs to byc user sahwithchicks)

They are beautiful as Large Fowl, and I also love the Bantams. Very nice little broodys. Here's my girl.

I made a welcome photo from her and her babies. :) She was always sweet when I came around.
Salmon Faverolles are sweethearts. They do go broody often, even the LF. They aren't on the top of the list for laying, and the eggs aren't very large, but where they lack in laying, they make up for looks, and sweetness!

Last edited:
Day 23 still nothing and I accidently dropped my flashlight on them while adding water yesterday so now I have a few eggs cracked grrr I went and bought more thermometers yesterday to see if I can figure out what the issue is and low and behold one of my old thermometers is reading 106 while the mercury thermometer is reading 100 degrees I believe I may have founf my hatching issue culprit. I just want baby fuzzy butts lol. So next question when do I start thinking about float testing?

106 is pretty high but I have heard about spikes like that where people still got some hatches. I've also read that some types take an extra few days, like Marans. Maybe give it another couple days?
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom