Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

I recently converted my Little Giant still-air incubator into a forced air incubator. So just to be sure, do I have to lower the temp a bit since before I converted it, it was at 102F?

Yeah I don't understand it was never below 50% but they are all struggling just hatched a second one out he is on camera now does not look good but time will tell first chick is very good but not able to walk very good yet he was dry and crusty after he hatched

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sherryann1221
hi,
I have not been keeping up well so hope this is not a repeat.............
They are pooped when they hatch...sometimes just need to rest.it was very hard work getting out of that egg................
wink.png

I wash chicks that are super glued....run them under warm water in the sink and use the hair dryer.
I don't really hit them directly with the air.kind of blow it around them on low............
I wait until they are rested.( on tier feet ) I read that they need to be fluffy to hold the heat in...........
What ever works for you....and
thumbsup.gif
on your hatch

I lost the third little Am..........I am not surprised.it just was not right from the beginning..............
very small and very weak.........
and the navel did not close all the way.
I mentioned earlier about wanting a broody. DH went to feed and collect eggs this morning.
Our sweet Blue Wyn , that always flies up to be held, was on the nest. DH reached under her to gather eggs..
She jumped off the nest and tried to attack his foot.......................
lau.gif

When we locked up tonight, she was still on the nest and when he walked by past her, she growled at him.
Now hoping she stays until I get my next check.....
Will check in later...
frow.gif

Meant to mention our winds are still bad here..................for those of you from Oregon,
we are just west of Multnomah Falls..........I do not know for certain what it has been the past few days.
We had been having 100 mile an hour gusts. not that bad now but enough that I will not let the chickens out. I am afraid they will blow to the next city........They do not want out anyway, but this has sure cut down on laying again.

Last edited:
Yes, lost my call drake & 2 hens. Also lost a banty roo, 2 banty hens & a young polish roo. My set up is not ideal because we moved right before the polar vortex first hit & my bunny cage I use for the calls didn't get moved yet. It's sitting with the tractor for my banties & polish and my big outdoor brooder almost 2 hrs away at a friend's back where we moved from. I rescued the 4 remaining call hens & the 4 polish & put them in cages in the garage where ut's a bit warmer. It was all little birds that I lost so thinking the big birds were crowding them out of the warmer roosting areas. I had 1 banty hen survive, a 6 yr old very smart, very hardy, broody EE. She doesn't lay more than 20-30 eggs a year anymore but she's good at hatching my call eggs so she gets to stay. She was smart & roosts 7 ft up in the rafters between 2 turkey hens...lol

Oh Silkie, I'm so sorry. That's a lot of loss! I wondered how you were doing with the set up going on with all of that cold that hit after you just moved!

Oh Silkie, I'm so sorry.  That's a lot of loss!   I wondered how you were doing with the set up going on with all of that cold that hit after you just moved! 

My birds are in an 8x10 shed that has a 4 ft high block "basement" in it. The anconas & american buffs are in the bottom & the turkeys & chickens are in the top. The calls & polish were up top too but went to the garage as soon as I could when I started losing them. I haven't lost any since moving them. With several inches of snow & ice most of the time since moving, I haven't had a chance to even get any runs up. The stakes to hold the fencing won't go into the frozen ground. I had to put lights out there because they can't get outside. Everyone is laying now except the goose. Half of the roof was missing off the shed, so it has a tarp roof on half until we can get that fixed too. Obviously not iddeal, but the littles are now much warmer in cages in the garage. I have a replacement drake & another hen shipping tomorrow. I should get them Thurs or Fri.

I lost the third little Am..........I am not surprised.it just was not right from the beginning..............
very small and very weak.........
and the navel did not close all the way.
I mentioned earlier about wanting a broody. DH went to feed and collect eggs this morning.
Our sweet Blue Wyn , that always flies up to be held, was on the nest. DH reached under her to gather eggs..
She jumped off the nest and tried to attack his foot.......................
lau.gif

When we locked up tonight, she was still on the nest and when he walked by past her, she growled at him.
Now hoping she stays until I get my next check.....
Will check in later...
frow.gif

Meant to mention our winds are still bad here..................for those of you from Oregon,
we are just west of Multnomah Falls..........I do not know for certain what it has been the past few days.
We had been having 100 mile an hour gusts. not that bad now but enough that I will not let the chickens out. I am afraid they will blow to the next city........They do not want out anyway, but this has sure cut down on laying again.

LOL! I just love broodies! That is great news, hope she stays on
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom