Janoel Incubator

mrwoodboat

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
For those asking about the Janoel- I purchased one and just finished my 1st incubation. I followed the instructions that came with it as my prior experience has been with a Hovabator forced air incubator (which I had about 75% hatch rate).

The Janoel kept the humidity and temp very, very stable- that being said, I have a 6' x 6' room for incubating in the center of my house with the incubator and hatcher on a shelf and brooders underneath them on another shelf.

The Janoel advocated a humidity of 65% to 68%- disaster!!! Way too high for this incubator- I had only a 25% hatch rate (thankfully it was barnyard eggs and not my quail or pheasants). I will set humidity around 40% like I ran in the hovabator and see if it has a better hatch rate.

the way the incubator is designed, you can run a small straw or tube from the vent hole to the water channels- I use a small amount of food coloring so I can monitor the water level and see how it corresponds with the humidity readings.

We set our second set of eggs this week (quail) so I will report how this hatch goes....

Too bad on your hatch rate :( I hope you have much better success with this next hatch.
What model do you have? Do you have an automatic turner? if so did it work correctly? Any other pros and cons you might want to share?

Thanks!

I have basically the same incubator, it's the Sanven 48 Egg Incubator. I set 48 eggs yesterday, 38 Dark Cornish and White Rock cross and 10 Dark Cornish and Amberlink cross. Temp stays steady at 100 (inside water bottle is 99.5 ) but the humidity wanted to stay to hi at about 50% got it down to 40% now. I think the eggs caused it to go up to 50% because I ran it for about a week getting it right and after I put them in it went up. We will see how it is when I get up in the morning. This is my first time incubating and with all the info I have been soaking up around here I am confident that all will go well, at least I hope so.

I have basically the same incubator, it's the Sanven 48 Egg Incubator. I set 48 eggs yesterday, 38 Dark Cornish and White Rock cross and 10 Dark Cornish and Amberlink cross. Temp stays steady at 100 (inside water bottle is 99.5 ) but the humidity wanted to stay to hi at about 50% got it down to 40% now. I think the eggs caused it to go up to 50% because I ran it for about a week getting it right and after I put them in it went up. We will see how it is when I get up in the morning. This is my first time incubating and with all the info I have been soaking up around here I am confident that all will go well, at least I hope so.

Sounding good! Let us know how your hatch turns out. My husband decided to build us an incubator, but I am still interested in learning about the ones you have for future purchases.

Isn't it great being able to soak up all this wonderful knowledge and experience from everyone on here! I can't wait for my first hatch... I have a broody hen that I will start with in the next couple of days.

Thank you Joyfulkeeper, and yes I will let everyone know how it goes. I got up this morning and temp was still setting at 100 degrees and the humidity was at 42. Came home from work and everything was the same so I think it should be good.

For those asking about the Janoel- I purchased one and just finished my 1st incubation. I followed the instructions that came with it as my prior experience has been with a Hovabator forced air incubator (which I had about 75% hatch rate).

The Janoel kept the humidity and temp very, very stable- that being said, I have a 6' x 6' room for incubating in the center of my house with the incubator and hatcher on a shelf and brooders underneath them on another shelf.

The Janoel advocated a humidity of 65% to 68%- disaster!!! Way too high for this incubator- I had only a 25% hatch rate (thankfully it was barnyard eggs and not my quail or pheasants). I will set humidity around 40% like I ran in the hovabator and see if it has a better hatch rate.

the way the incubator is designed, you can run a small straw or tube from the vent hole to the water channels- I use a small amount of food coloring so I can monitor the water level and see how it corresponds with the humidity readings.

We set our second set of eggs this week (quail) so I will report how this hatch goes.... 

Thank you Joyfulkeeper, and yes I will let everyone know how it goes. I got up this morning and temp was still setting at 100 degrees and the humidity was at 42. Came home from work and everything was the same so I think it should be good.

How did your hatches turn out?
Also, how much did you pay for the bator and where did you get them?

Update on the incubator- we are on our 3 set of eggs- once we figured out the little nuances of the bator, it has done well

Pros- locks temp down like an anvil
turner does a steady yeoman's job
easy to calibrate and set

Cons- humidity is very touchy but I feel this is due to the material it is made from- being plastic, it does not hold moisture except what is introduced in the environment. To help stabilize the humidity, we added sponges- that has helped a lot- it only takes a small amount of water to make big changes inside- I use a plastic tube through the vent hole on top to add water when needed..

The Sanven 48 Egg Incubator did a pretty good job, I had 8 infertile and 4 early quitters at day 14 when I candled .Went into lock down with 36 and hatched 29 so only had 7 that didn't hatch. not to bad for my first time ever, Only thing i do not like about this incubator is my model does not have the windows in it to see whats going on, I'm going to cut out some openings and hot glue some Plexiglas on them to solve this problem, other than that I like it. Oh most forgot I ordered mine form Amazon and I paid $179.00. It shipped from china and was here in 10 days.

Last edited:
Have any of you had problems with the fan dying? What do you do to make sure they still hatch? The temp wants to run havoc without the air circulation and the alarm is driving me mad at 2 am. The eggs are at day 11. HELP! Please!

Back
Top Bottom