Janoel

I'm not sure if I have the new one or the old one. It arrived a couple weeks ago, bought off of Ebay:

I have the Janoel 48 being delivered TODAY so I can show you a pic of that one, too, if you'd like.

It's still super early, but I do have an additional thermometer inside which has held steady!

Pooman - My chicks are totally going to be hatching in my bathroom now!

Last edited:
I've got the 48 and I hate it. I gave $95 for it on amazon. Wish I had My money back. It's not stable enough for me to put eggs in. You would be better off with a cheap styrofoam model. I'd send ya this piece of junk for what I have in it but I wouldn't want anyone to suffer the disappointment I have.

We hatched our first lot in the bathroom, when I set up the new ones they will be in our living room and I will keep the hatcher in the bathroom.

Funny how "animal people" totally 'get' having incubators all over the house, lambs in the laundry, pups in front of the fire - yet our real 'city' friends just can't work out how we can live like this!!!!!
idunno.gif
To me it is just normal, my poor brother (did we really grow up in the same house??) visits us from his high rise apartment and I am SURE he rushes home and disinfects all his clothing (no, actually, he probably just burns them!!!!)
gig.gif

When hatching - do you worry about the first chicks wandering around knocking the other eggs about? Just wondering if I need to set up dividers or something so that they don't move all the other eggs? With our first lot we opened the inc to get the first couple of chicks out - I was worried about them blundering around - but now that I have read and learnt some more I am thinking we probably killed some of the later chicks....

batchhatchin - sorry to hear about your problems - I have so many friends and it seems they all have friends using these same incubators, some of them have been using them for years and years - in the main without any major problems once the temperatures are calibrated properly.

MisfitMarie - did you candle yet?!?!?!

We hatched our first lot in the bathroom, when I set up the new ones they will be in our living room and I will keep the hatcher in the bathroom.

Funny how "animal people" totally 'get' having incubators all over the house, lambs in the laundry, pups in front of the fire - yet our real 'city' friends just can't work out how we can live like this!!!!!
idunno.gif
To me it is just normal, my poor brother (did we really grow up in the same house??) visits us from his high rise apartment and I am SURE he rushes home and disinfects all his clothing (no, actually, he probably just burns them!!!!)
gig.gif

When hatching - do you worry about the first chicks wandering around knocking the other eggs about? Just wondering if I need to set up dividers or something so that they don't move all the other eggs? With our first lot we opened the inc to get the first couple of chicks out - I was worried about them blundering around - but now that I have read and learnt some more I am thinking we probably killed some of the later chicks....

batchhatchin - sorry to hear about your problems - I have so many friends and it seems they all have friends using these same incubators, some of them have been using them for years and years - in the main without any major problems once the temperatures are calibrated properly.

MisfitMarie - did you candle yet?!?!?!

Dorpersheep - Were you raised that way, or is it something that sort of developed through your life? Interesting that your brother doesn't share your same passion =P Did he ever, at any time, show an interest in it? Or just a different personality?

I can relate to that. I was raised around chickens, pigs, dogs, etc. The little town I lived in was also home to a lot of chicken and dairy farms. I was in the FFA through high school and had a lot of exposure to it all. I live just outside of a city now, and I already have friends who have given me raised eyebrows about my new-found hobby of hatching chicks. Usually one of the first things they say is, "But they're so dirty! They poop everywhere, and they smell!" I've been taken back a couple times already about how shockingly judgmental people can be...but whatever. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I guess I just have a different perspective. I don't remember my parent's coop ever stinking, but they did clean it regularly and never overcrowded it. I remember my mother also planting tons of flowers around it, maybe that's the trick! =P

As far as the germs and poo, that's never really bothered me. I am usually pretty good about washing my hands after handling my chicks, but sometimes I forget... and I've never, in my entire life, gotten sick (knock on wood) from chickens so... I guess it's just not something I worry about. Maybe I should more? I don't know.

Anyway, I will stop rambling. I will remember that, about opening the incubator to remove reckless chicks. I was wondering the same thing, about them knocking each other around. But it makes sense that maybe the sudden drop in humidity from opening the incubator would do a lot more damage.

AND YES... I did candle! It was only day 5 yesterday. They are very dark, Copper Maran eggs. BUT.. In a few of them, I did see a very small bean-shaped thing with a black dot in the middle... I hoping it's SOMETHING good, maybe a little chickie-baby. I still plan on checking tomorrow!

Plain and simple you get what you pay for. I'll never waste my money on this brand again. The incuview from incubator warehouse is a lot better buy. I'm on a tight budget but that little more gets a lot better bang for the buck. If you don't want a big disappointment on hatch day save your money. JN= junk. Imop

Plain and simple, you dont know what your talking about. All my janoel,incubators hold temperature very well and the humidity is what u make it (no humidity control) if your saying your unit has humidity control well great. This doesnt. But my hatch rates are fine after tuning the units. Im sure any incubator will need to be checked for temps etc before being put into service. IMO it sounds like your either being paid to sell this gear or trying to flame a different brand for other benefit.

No one here appreciates your constant useless comments in different incubator threads. Your adding nothing.

When hatching - do you worry about the first chicks wandering around knocking the other eggs about? Just wondering if I need to set up dividers or something so that they don't move all the other eggs? With our first lot we opened the inc to get the first couple of chicks out - I was worried about them blundering around - but now that I have read and learnt some more I am thinking we probably killed some of the chicks

Yeh i do.

Think ive lost chicks because of it too.

See from the reading and the looking at my own eggs, it does add up. Think about it from the real world... Under a broody. Lockdown comes, broody gets wet underneath, then sits.. And sits. Eggs dont get moved like normal (if you have watched broodies inaction). She doesnt get up. Humidity is locked in. They are in a nest, locked down by a broody. On hay / soft bedding of some sort.... Eggs not moving, chicks cannot run around like loonies....

My hatcher, has no bedding as it will dry the membrane, isnt locked down in the dark under a pile of feathers, air flow (although humid air) is much higher... Is a way different environment. Not normal.

I use the black tray and dividers if possible. But they do need some space. To push out of the egg. Ideally i imagine a ring they sit in, low down on the egg holding them at about 45 i think opwould be best, but studies i have seen suggest it makes almost no difference unless its upside down, where there is marginally lower hatch rate

Mmm rambling lol

I'll find a picture.... My dog jess and lucky having a sweet snooze

That is one of the cutest pictures i've ever seen, I'm going away for the weekend so i will be order it on monday (exciting stuff)
woot.gif
so i think it will come around the 1st, once i've ordered the eggs it will probably be the 4 by the time they arrive so a christmas hatch it is. I think i've fallen in love with silkies it just there fluffyness its got me hooked already and im going to get slw if theres any on eBay
fl.gif
12 eggs in total lets hope the post treats me well!

Hahaha pooman I love the fact that you think I'm exploiting this avenue for my discontent with a certain brand or model for gain of another. I'm in fact not paid or endorsed by any manufacturer,brand or trade mark. I just like to use this media to let the masses know of my opinion( obnoxious as it may be to you) of this product. I do not wish to have an argument over a point of view or opinion as it's totally pointless and provides no monetary or egotistical gain to either one of us. Sorry if I offended you with my posting of my opinion on this public forum.

With sincere regret,
DMV,Ph.D xxxx Stewart

Hahaha pooman I love the fact that you think I'm exploiting this avenue for my discontent with a certain brand or model for gain of another. I'm in fact not paid or endorsed by any manufacturer,brand or trade mark. I just like to use this media to let the masses know of my opinion( obnoxious as it may be to you) of this product. I do not wish to have an argument over a point of view or opinion as it's totally pointless and provides no monetary or egotistical gain to either one of us. Sorry if I offended you with my posting of my opinion on this public forum.

With sincere regret,
DMV,Ph.D xxxx Stewart

Your opinion isnt obnoxious. But you state no facts, just flaming (pointless blathering) opinion, repeatedly (3 times ive seen). It makes no,sense. Contribute but your repeated uncontructive posts do not add anything.

All my janoel a hold temp very tightly. As you know humidity depends, unless unhave humidity control.

Im more than happy to talk about it, im sure i could build better bators myself. But for a hungy a functional bator seems good.

Im happy always to learn. Your posts dont lend to that tho. So lets have a proper discussion .... Dr

What maran eggs have you got in Misfitmarie? Just ordered the incubator turns out there was one for sale with quick delivery so there we go it will be here by wednesday! hahaha

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom