January 2020 Hatch along

I'm setting 42 mixed breed eggs on Sunday or Monday :D

The roosters are black jersey giants and olive eggers so I can't wait! Its Squatch's brother Sid's offspring and Eve's 3 brothers. I gave them to someone local and he has been breeding them with his hens.

Can't wait to see what hatches!

Last edited:
@jolenesdad @BirdsBeesTrees Yep, Greenfire on EBay. I think we have 9 out of the 12 eggs developing. With my luck, it will be an all pullet hatch lol.

It was way too much $$ for eggs, but I bought them for the BF at Christmas. It’s like ordering chickens...from Tiffany’s. :lau
Right now on eBay they are up to $542 for 1 dozen of those eggs!

The hatch is coming along nicely. 5 faverolles, 2 sussex and 1 out of 2 araucana. And several more sussex on the way. 4 faverolles haven't externally pipped yet. Did an artificial ext pip on one who's tried to break the shell, but didn't.
Really wanna keep the araucanas myself, might sneak one away. Haha!

I can't imagine paying that for eggs :thIm getting 3 dozen for $12 and locally. Most will be olive eggers. I haven't ventured into the shipped egg world yet, just something about it always stops me from buying. I usually get 90% hatch rates and I know it can be less with shipped eggs.

Shipped eggs definitely has a lower hatch rate. I expect 50% and everything above is a bonus. The shipping itself is nerve wrecking too. Packages are only delivered monday to friday, and it usually takes 2-3 days to deliver. Add a bunch of holiday days in hatching season, like easter, and your eggs might get stuck at the post office. I've shipped eggs, but don't do it anymore. Don't want angry customers due to unforseen low hatch rates...

Sneak peek from under the mama-brooder.
DSC_0003_mod.jpg

I can't imagine paying that for eggs :thIm getting 3 dozen for $12 and locally. Most will be olive eggers. I haven't ventured into the shipped egg world yet, just something about it always stops me from buying. I usually get 90% hatch rates and I know it can be less with shipped eggs.

Locally is definitely better for hatch rates. Shipped eggs are a crapshoot for sure. I’ve gotten anywhere from near perfect to none at all hatching.

Sounds like you have a fun hatch ahead! Our Olive Egger just started laying... brown eggs. So, I have another excuse to hatch eventually. :D

Locally is definitely better for hatch rates. Shipped eggs are a crapshoot for sure. I’ve gotten anywhere from near perfect to none at all hatching.

Sounds like you have a fun hatch ahead! Our Olive Egger just started laying... brown eggs. So, I have another excuse to hatch eventually. :D
I have a feeling I'd buy shipped eggs and none would hatch :lau

Back
Top Bottom