January to February 2024 Duckling Hatch-Along!

Pics
Do you know Laffy is a girl? I know zip about ducks but hear you can tell by the voice?
Yes, she’s a girl! You can certainly tell by the voice. As adults, drakes will make a raspy squawk, and hens will produce a loud quack-quack-quack, but even as ducklings, you can hear the females make what’s called a “peep-honk.”

I’ve been able to hear Laffy peep-honking since she was just 10 days old! However, it’s very subtle, and not 100% accurate at that age. With my first batch of ducklings, only 2/3 of the ducklings who peep-honked that young ended up being girls.

So far, 4 weeks has been the age where I can hear a more noticeable “honk!” and anyone still honking after 4 weeks have all been girls for me.

As of now, I also believe Peach, Prickly, Banana, Lemon, and Peppermint are girls, but I’ll have to wait and see for sure. I believe Guava is a boy, and I’m unsure about Coconut, Coffee, or Strawberry.

Yes, she’s a girl! You can certainly tell by the voice. As adults, drakes will make a raspy squawk, and hens will produce a loud quack-quack-quack, but even as ducklings, you can hear the females make what’s called a “peep-honk.”

I’ve been able to hear Laffy peep-honking since she was just 10 days old! However, it’s very subtle, and not 100% accurate at that age. With my first batch of ducklings, only 2/3 of the ducklings who peep-honked that young ended up being girls.

So far, 4 weeks has been the age where I can hear a more noticeable “honk!” and anyone still honking after 4 weeks have all been girls for me.

As of now, I also believe Peach, Prickly, Banana, Lemon, and Peppermint are girls, but I’ll have to wait and see for sure. I believe Guava is a boy, and I’m unsure about Coconut, Coffee, or Strawberry.
That is too cool, I’m happy she’s a girl, Laffy Taffy eggs!

Some pictures of the Little 5!

I’ve tried my hardest to label who’s who from left to right, but understandably, the yellow babies look very similar 🤣

View attachment 3757307
A blurry photo of the Little 5 - they don’t sit still for long! Coffee, Lemon, Peppermint, Coconut, Strawberry
View attachment 3757306
The Big 5’s first meeting with the Little 5 through a gate. Coconut, Peppermint, Strawberry

View attachment 3757310
Coconut on the left. On the right, top to bottom is Strawberry, Peppermint, Lemon, Coffee

View attachment 3757312
Lemon, Strawberry, Peppermint, Coconut
View attachment 3757313
Lemon, Strawberry
View attachment 3757314
Strawberry, Coffee

Also, an abundance of Laffy photos, because she’s my favorite - in case you couldn’t tell 😅

View attachment 3757315
Laffy being footballed
View attachment 3757316
Laffy smiling for the camera

View attachment 3757335
Laffy front-view with mad scientist hair

View attachment 3757338
Laffy finally able to tuck her bill under her wing!

View attachment 3757339
Laffy being footballed again
They are all so cute! I absolutely still love Laffy's crest ☺️

Look at my little Peppermint 🤩

More pictures of everyone:celebrate

IMG_3236.jpeg

Lemon with a whole lot of feathers coming in

IMG_3238.jpeg

Coffee, Coconut

IMG_3247.jpeg

Lemon and Coconut at the front

IMG_3256.jpeg

Coffee

IMG_3248.jpeg

Prickly in front, Guava drinking

IMG_3271.jpeg

Laffy and Peach plumage comparison

IMG_3269.jpeg

Caramel

IMG_3273.jpeg

Cherry

IMG_3275.jpeg

Pitaya

Duck math is really getting to me 🤣 At the start of this, I said I only wanted to keep 2 - 3 ducklings, but now I think I’ll be keeping 7 - 8 of them. They’re just too sweet!

At the moment, I know that Laffy, Peach, Prickly, and Banana are girls. I believe Lemon, Coffee, Strawberry, and Peppermint could be girls as well, but I’m gonna give it another week or two until I say for sure. Guava is definitely a boy. I’m still unsure about Coconut, so they may be a boy as well. Overall, I think we have the potential of 8 girls and 2 boys - very good, if so! At the very least, I think there’s more girls than boys.

Oh, also, I’ve finally been able to give Peppermint a green leg band on her right leg. Now it’ll be much easier to tell her and Coconut apart :)

Edit to add - I changed my profile picture! It’s around 90% AI and 10% of my editing. I tried to get it as close to Pitaya, Cherry, and Caramel as possible, but there’s clear differences. I still quite like it :D

More pictures of everyone:celebrate

View attachment 3761183

Lemon with a whole lot of feathers coming in

View attachment 3761184
Coffee, Coconut

View attachment 3761185
Lemon and Coconut at the front

View attachment 3761188
Coffee

View attachment 3761209

Prickly in front, Guava drinking

View attachment 3761213

Laffy and Peach plumage comparison

View attachment 3761214
Caramel

View attachment 3761215
Cherry

View attachment 3761216
Pitaya

Duck math is really getting to me 🤣 At the start of this, I said I only wanted to keep 2 - 3 ducklings, but now I think I’ll be keeping 7 - 8 of them. They’re just too sweet!

At the moment, I know that Laffy, Peach, Prickly, and Banana are girls. I believe Lemon, Coffee, Strawberry, and Peppermint could be girls as well, but I’m gonna give it another week or two until I say for sure. Guava is definitely a boy. I’m still unsure about Coconut, so they may be a boy as well. Overall, I think we have the potential of 8 girls and 2 boys - very good, if so! At the very least, I think there’s more girls than boys.

Oh, also, I’ve finally been able to give Peppermint a green leg band on her right leg. Now it’ll be much easier to tell her and Coconut apart :)

Edit to add - I changed my profile picture! It’s around 90% AI and 10% of my editing. I tried to get it as close to Pitaya, Cherry, and Caramel as possible, but there’s clear differences. I still quite like it :D
Over the top cuteness! :love

Back
Top Bottom