Japanese Bantam Rooster comb turning purple

naturetalksbackcyren

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2021
Hi everyone

I went to feed my young Roo this morning and noticed the tips of his comb were turning slightly purple. It doesn't stay this color, just periodically throughout the day.

He is a Japanese Bantam, approx 5 months old who has just started to crow. I've not noticed this before. He is an indoor/outdoor chicken and is only allowed out on sunny days. He sleeps indoors in his own room with a blanket over his cage as I know how cold sensitive the Japanese Bantams are. He is also a solo rooster (no hens or other roos) so I know he isnt getting pecked.

Behavior wise nothing has changed. He eats fine and is fed commercial pellets, gets a pinch of mixed grain as a treat (millet, wheat, and brown rice), and a scrambled egg with pea shoots and fresh corn for breakfast He doesnt sneeze or have discharge from his nostrils.

What do you think is up with him? I read heart disease is an issue. If it is a underlying heart condition how should I manage this?
20210819_134208.jpg

Attachments

• 20210819_134208.jpg
    20210819_134208.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210819_134208.jpg
    20210819_134208.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 1
I've seen roosters occasionally get purple tips to their combs. I have also seen it when trimming spurs on roosters because they can't breathe well. Not sure if you can do anything about it.

I've seen roosters occasionally get purple tips to their combs. I have also seen it when trimming spurs on roosters because they can't breathe well. Not sure if you can do anything about it.
Thank you for your feedback! This provided some relief. Ill just keep going on our daily routine and keep an eye out for anything else that may be out of the ordinary

Back
Top Bottom