Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Varieties!!!!

Pics

Can anyone help Identify the mutation(s) of these quail? I started a topic on them but have yet to get a solid answer. I figured I would post here as well since this is a mega thread of sorts. I have 3 of this variety, they all look slightly different but I belive they are of the same variety. Cannot be visually sexed, and eye color has been effected by whatever mutation(s) at work.

I'm breeding one pair of the mystery birds together (homozygous offspring). The other male I've paired to a wild colored hen to determine inheritance of the mystery mutation.

I plan to add more birds to this experiment, I'm just getting started with Coturnix.

For the life of me, I can't discern the differences between the darker color varieties. What makes a Dark British Range, Tibetan, Rosetta, or Chocolate distinct?

An internet search led me to photos of some that appear just a little more reddish than others, but honestly the darker ones (without white tuxedo markings) all look the same to me.

Can anyone help Identify the mutation(s) of these quail? I started a topic on them but have yet to get a solid answer. I figured I would post here as well since this is a mega thread of sorts. I have 3 of this variety, they all look slightly different but I belive they are of the same variety. Cannot be visually sexed, and eye color has been effected by whatever mutation(s) at work.

I'm breeding one pair of the mystery birds together (homozygous offspring). The other male I've paired to a wild colored hen to determine inheritance of the mystery mutation.

I plan to add more birds to this experiment, I'm just getting started with Coturnix.

What color are the eyes? This might be an isabell or cinnamon mutation. It would also help to see the colors under natural sunlight.

Last edited:
What color are the eyes?  This might be an isabell or cinnamon mutation. It would also help to see the colors under natural sunlight.

Their eyes are a solid dark gray/brown color. The photos were taken in my outdoor aviary...all natural lighting :)

I dug up an old thread and someone posted a picture of a "Cream" mutation that looked VERY similar. Could that be what these are? I can't find any other info on the Cream mutation...

Good evening Quail folks. I do have a question, after some background (if I'm in the wrong place for introductions, forgive me and point me to right place.) I've been lurking on the forum for a few months now.

I joined a few months back after I bought my first Coturnix back in June. A few Tibetans from a nearby hobby breeder. Out of 8, I finally culled down to 2 hens and 1 cock. Then a couple of weeks later, I traveled about 50 miles south and bought 2-day old chicks: 5 Italian +3 extra, 5 Jumbo +3 extra. She was very generous. Due to various reasons, those are culled down to 2 Italians, 1 of each gender; and 2 Jumbos, 1 of each gender. I have always been fascinated with genetics; dairy farm boy, small chicken farmer in high school and early college, iris grower and breeder for a few years. I did extensive research before my first purchase because being a suburban resident, and although chickens are now legal with a permit in the Nashville area, they're just too big. :)

Anyway, I got the hatching bug a few weeks back and found a nice incubator locally off Craigslist and serendipitously discovered a work friend had an egg turner with quail racks (she was a former Bobwhite breeder and grower; small world) and I was all set. I had left the 3 colors with like-to-like as to get pure colored chicks, hoping no one was full siblings to prevent close inbreeding. The interesting chicks turned out to be from the Tibetans: From 15 eggs, I hatched 10. I was right pleased. All the Tibetan parents had full Tibetan markings and cream/regular colored legs. Well, I got quite the surprise: there were several Tuxedo chicks from this breeding. Some were quite deep black with their white markings, some were more brown, some were barely noticable, but there. An even bigger surprise was the black legs on these babies. I've searched the archives and the web, high and low, and can't seem to find any mention of black-legged Coturnix.

So, my questions are: How common are black legs? Are they only in the Tibetans/Tuxedos? Does it matter? Well, and more questions, eventually. :)

I kinda like them being so dark. Today, they are 15 days old and have grown like crazy. Almost fully feathered or close and quite active and healthy looking. (Maybe pictures if I can figure out how to post them. I do have a video from Monday night.)

Now, my wants from reading this thread over and over: Some Silvers. Anyone have eggs or know where to order some?

Thanks in advance of some interesting answers and discussion.
Gary

Back
Top Bottom