rachel877112

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2019
A few days ago I received 3 female quail which I very highly suspect one is a male! I’ve never owned or raised quails so forgive me if some of my questions seem silly!
We were told they will be fine in a small chicken coop so we purchased one that has a lockable hutch that has a ramp going into it. They refused to use the ramp so I’ve had to physically put them in at night and they go nuts! It’s a nice big area for them to sleep as well as an extra area for laying?
Should I separate the male from the females, they look quite badly battered as they’re missing feathers from their backs and heads except the male. I’m a little stressed as I just want them to be happy and I feel like I’m not doing the right thing! They’re 9 months old so I’ve been told.

If they are the normal brown color, you can tell the sex of the birds by looking at their chest. Post pictures here and we'll try to help :)
2 females for one male is rarely enough. If it really is a male, it would probably be best to separate them for a while at least - but the male will likely crow a lot when separated.
As for ramps, if you want them to use it, start by keeping them in the coop part only for a couple of weeks.
Before opening to the run, you might need to modify the ramp a bit so it's not so steep. You can do this by placing the end of it on some bricks or similar and then building brick stairs up to the ramp. If you keep food and water in the coop, they'll usually learn to use the ramp then.
Otherwise you can just decide to accept that they won't use the coop - just make sure they are sheltered in the run.

Oh - and :welcome

We tried to separate them and the male crowed which sent the females wild so I ended up putting them all in together for tonight which I hope is ok! We managed to contact the person who sold them to us and is happy to take the male back. Hoping he has another replacement female.
Bricks and steps sounds like a great idea! These are pictures of all of them from this morning quickly, mind their bare backs, we were told they will grow back after being away from the males. 2B869C5A-0CDE-455D-851B-D5AA49CF8550.jpeg 5C6DFEEA-2ED1-4318-94C7-27950B0A9444.jpeg F544DFD6-12FC-402B-9114-4F6F745037B6.jpeg 0523F89D-8D37-4F47-9ED2-43E1F92DFD18.jpeg D424172F-8701-4E61-AC26-B3A5043B0D25.jpeg

If they are the normal brown color, you can tell the sex of the birds by looking at their chest. Post pictures here and we'll try to help :)
2 females for one male is rarely enough. If it really is a male, it would probably be best to separate them for a while at least - but the male will likely crow a lot when separated.
As for ramps, if you want them to use it, start by keeping them in the coop part only for a couple of weeks.
Before opening to the run, you might need to modify the ramp a bit so it's not so steep. You can do this by placing the end of it on some bricks or similar and then building brick stairs up to the ramp. If you keep food and water in the coop, they'll usually learn to use the ramp then.
Otherwise you can just decide to accept that they won't use the coop - just make sure they are sheltered in the run.

Oh - and :welcome
As DK said, give them a few weeks in coop. My bobwhites took close to 3 weeks closed up in coop at night before I saw them use more frequently. Now they almost prefer it and lay most eggs in there. Set up looks very good! This is an older pick before I culled half my flock.

Attachments

• 6FC1C9CB-6752-4C7C-9518-1E189F61EAB9.jpeg
    6FC1C9CB-6752-4C7C-9518-1E189F61EAB9.jpeg
    605 KB · Views: 20
Looks like you have a nice setup, Rachel! Lots of space for happy birds :) Does the run have wire at the bottom as well? If not, I'd probably add it, to keep rats and other digging predators out. Or you can add a 'skirt' of hardware cloth all the way around the cage, 1-2 ft wide, that'll usually keep the diggers out as well.
Danny, that's an insane amount of birds :eek:I'm surprised they are not killing each other. Even the half that remains must be more than is usually recommended for that amount of space for bobwhites?

Looks like you have a nice setup, Rachel! Lots of space for happy birds :) Does the run have wire at the bottom as well? If not, I'd probably add it, to keep rats and other digging predators out. Or you can add a 'skirt' of hardware cloth all the way around the cage, 1-2 ft wide, that'll usually keep the diggers out as well.
Danny, that's an insane amount of birds :eek:I'm surprised they are not killing each other. Even the half that remains must be more than is usually recommended for that amount of space for bobwhites?
Yes it was! Down to 20 now after culling and selling some in Oklahoma. Many were from my last hatch until they were of age he wanted. They did so that’s when culled and no more lost. That was about 75 down to 39, now 20. Here’s a close up of flock now. And one less rooster. 4 males, 16 hens

Attachments

• BB693B57-35DD-4B36-BDFE-C473E33EE50A.jpeg
    BB693B57-35DD-4B36-BDFE-C473E33EE50A.jpeg
    957.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
There is no wire on the bottom, we are going to add a skirt around it too. Going to have a go at fixing the ramp into the coop today. Being in Australia and where I am we only have to worry about rats and snakes mainly. The one we suspected to be male definitely is as he crowed like crazy when separated from the females so we are returning him this afternoon. Thank you to everyone for all the advice and tips. Any more that you have will be also greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom