Java Thread

Pics
King Cale,
welcome-byc.gif
and I'm sure you will be excited when the new peeps arrive. Are you getting them from a breeder close to where you are?

~ bigzio

Yes i am and am very excited! I am new to the chicken thing though and was wondering (because i heard a story from the garfield farm museum) That one of the guys down there found a gene in one of his birds that had the white gene. So he has brought back like a total of 75 white javas. I was wondering how do i go about breeding my birds to get out a specific gene?

Quote:
Well the white, just like the mottled and auburn are recessive genes and they must have two copies to express the color, but when some birds only have one copy, they will carry the gene and not show it so you won't know which carry it and which don't, unless you breed like white to black, then you know all of them have on copy of the white gene, white to mottled should give all chicks being solid black colored but carring one copy of white and one copy of mottled. So there's not much you can do.

But don't worry about it, hatch whites too, then get the other two colors and raise them. I'm getting all 4 colors of Javas ( Black, White, Mottled, and Auburn)

Keep in mind that there is both dominant and recessive genes. In regards to a black bird, the white and auburn gene would be recessive, so when it shows up you would exploit the eggs from those providing the special traits that you want work with...hope that helps some.

Breeding for certain results, requires control as far as who is who and the results from who is who. Hope that makes some basic knowledge sense for starting out.

~ bigzio

Quote:
Well the white, just like the mottled and auburn are recessive genes and they must have two copies to express the color, but when some birds only have one copy, they will carry the gene and not show it so you won't know which carry it and which don't, unless you breed like white to black, then you know all of them have on copy of the white gene, white to mottled should give all chicks being solid black colored but carring one copy of white and one copy of mottled. So there's not much you can do.

But don't worry about it, hatch whites too, then get the other two colors and raise them. I'm getting all 4 colors of Javas ( Black, White, Mottled, and Auburn)

Me, too!
yippiechickie.gif

oh that helps alot! Thanks guy, another question though
tongue.png
Lets say one of my roosters and a hen has a few specks of white but isn't full blown white. If i have them breed, will the chance of the chick coming out with more white then any of the other chicks be stronger?

P.S. Thanks everyone for answering the last question!

Evening To All... breeding can be as simple as it happens, or as difficult as the results from your breeding.

Breeding programs can run the gamut in regards to results....Rolling Matings, Line Breeding, Clan Mating, Breeding Out And Out, Grading, CrossBreeding, Sex Links. Sometimes it's best to study what your options are, and then determine where your breeding program is going.

Some folks have closed flocks. Working with the best from the start, and then improving within.

Recessive genes don't become dominant when bred to dominant genes.

Hope this helps... ~ bigzio

I have Java's hatching today. So far I have one white, 8 black with Auburn Gene, and 2 true black chicks. There are eggs still pipping in the incubator. Can't wait to see what else may pop out!

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom