Java Thread

Pics
WOOHOO Congrats James.

I'm hopeing Patty can get me some of her mottled eggs soon so I can add them with the 5 started chicks already have from TACEYPERKINS, and I'm hopeing to get Auburn eggs within the next month too.

I thought I posted about my Auburn eggs...eek, I'm getting lost. I think I have 12 developing.
wee.gif

Ok here are the first pictures of my molted java's.Thanks onthespot(Patty).They are active little things.My black are still a couple of weeks away from hatching.I had a great hatch and have 14 little babies.
woot.gif

11289_chick_pics_009.jpg

11289_chick_pics_008.jpg

I just want to say hellow to everyone on the java thread. I've wanted to work with black javas for years, and have finally taken the plunge. I have my first peeps coming next month, and am as excited as a young kid christmas eve.

I'm happy you are here to share your joy with this truly great breed.

~ bigzio

Quote:
Welcome bigzio! I have one pair right now, and that BJ roo is one mean cuss...his girlfriend is the sweetest little thing. I'm hoping their babies take after their mama. I have Auburn eggs in the incubator, and will have more on the way(Mottled). I'm getting into the Javas more than I expected...guess it IS the year of the Java, Tacey.
smile.png

Quote:
Welcome bigzio! I have one pair right now, and that BJ roo is one mean cuss...his girlfriend is the sweetest little thing. I'm hoping their babies take after their mama. I have Auburn eggs in the incubator, and will have more on the way(Mottled). I'm getting into the Javas more than I expected...guess it IS the year of the Java, Tacey.
smile.png

I think it's just the year of older heritage breeds making a come back which I think is great.Some of the rare breeds have taken off this year with the java's, buckeyes and a few others .
smile.png

Just for the sake of a little information being added to the java thread....they first arrived here by 1835 from the East Indies, and added to the standard of perfection in 1883. They are one of the foundation breeds helping with creating some of the composite breeds.

Javas nearly disappeared by the end of the twentieth century. Speciality breeders and historical societies played a significent role in the recovery of the breed. Garfield Farms in Illinois, the 1840's working museum was a huge player in the 1990's. They supplied eggs to hatch at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industries Genetics:Decoding Life exhbit.

From the thousands of chicks they provided, in 2004 two brown ones showed up...remnants of the Auburn variety that diappeared in 1870. The Auburns were significant in their contributions to the Rhode Island Red.

Javas were competitive with the Rocks in the past, and selective breeding could return them to their former status.

This is only a tidbit of information from the "How To Raise Chickens" by Christine Heinrichs.
This is a must have book, in my opinion. Nothing like the title suggests.

~ bigzio

Back
Top Bottom