Java Thread

Pics
I'm no expert either, but full of questions like everyone should be that's interested in the unknown. I'm looking at the new addition of the American Standard of perfection that arrived today. Like before the only 2 colors recognized by the standard are Black and Mottled....just sayin....also the main disqualifications for the blacks are more that 1/2 inch of positive white in the plumage, two or more feathers tipped or edged with positive white; skin or bottoms of feet showing complete absence of yellow....just sayin.... also the mottled are disqualified for any red or yellow in the plumage, and the feet are the same as blacks.....

My question is why would you worry about the red neck feathers on a black bird? It also states an adult bird grows 3 sets of feathers, which can differ from the previous one....are we to quick to judge the true color here, if culling is prior to that?...

Just some of my thoughts, that's all.

~ bigzio

I have heard from more than one Java expert, that the Java was used to develope the RIR, along with other breeds, so that the Javas do have a recessive red/brown.
But that is all I know.
I have also been told by these same old breeders that it can take up to 2 years for a Java Cock to mature, and that includes a molt or tow.
They may be ready to mate at a younger age, but to truly fill out and have the final plumage may take up to 2 yrs.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think red feathers on a black bird is strikingly beautiful, but not the APA Standard on a Black Java. I usually found the red neck feathers would show up in the mature roosters not the cockerels (mostly) and if a Black Java rooster had the red feathering he would throw the red feathering in his babies, hence I would sell or swap the gorgeous rooster to someone who was not breeding for type in Black Javas. I also noticed with the red neck feathering a more red/reddish colored eye in the birds with this gene but this was also true with a red/reddish colored eye color in Black Javas I knew had a White Java parent. Black, being dominant I would have black chicks from a Black Java (hen or rooster) to a White Java (hen or rooster) usually with red/reddish eyes more correct to the Mottled Javas.

Personally I am not a fast culler. I like to see a bird mature and see their chicks before I let a Java go.

javachick

Quote:
rsf31tmp your rooster is a very pretty guy. I had a Silver Java rooster who looked similar but white where you boy is red.
I'll see if I can find his photo.

<grins> Yes a Silver Java Rooster and a Silver Java Hen.
GENETICS: Silver Ameraucana Rooster to a Black Java Hen

This was a total accident which resulted in a beautiful pair. Actually I thought I had maybe a true Silver Java until the hen developed a pea comb. lol She was beautiful, black feathers with silver striping in her neck feathers.

javachick

Last edited:
Quote:
sheltonrea
welcome-byc.gif

What is a java chicken? <grins> The best chicken in the world!! I am of course prejudice. LOL

The Java Chicken is the second oldest chicken breed in the US. They are a standard size birds and come in two official APA Standard colors: Black and Mottled. There are also White and Auburn colors too, but currently not recognized by the American Poultry Association but loved by Java Chicken Lovers.

A couple photos of some Black Javas:
47762_old_man_with_his_girls_spring_2010.jpg

47762_black_java_trio_fall_2010.jpg

Go back through this thread and you will find more photos of Java Chickens

javachick

Last edited:
Second oldest breed in the American Class. Originated in the East: changed once in the States. No one is sure just how much it changed, but evidently substantially.

I just wanted to share this with you all in case you didn't receive this information / request from ALBC and are interested in participating.

Java Chicken Survey
ALBC is undertaking a Java chicken recovery project. In order to develop strong conservation programs for the Java, we would like some feedback on Java chickens. Please take 5 minutes to answer the following survey questions.
http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=IIHHNM_8ac83333
Steve Moize
American Livestock Breeds Conservancy
[email protected]
www.albc-usa.org

Back
Top Bottom