Jersey Giant - rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eggcellent Adventure, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Eggcellent Adventure

Eggcellent Adventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Hi, We have 2 four month old jersey giants...think one might be a rooster - redder face, fanned tail - any thoughts??

A pic of the 2 of them together -suspected boy in front:
    [​IMG]

Pic 1 of boy/girl?
    [​IMG]

pic 2 of boy/girl?
    [​IMG]

If boy, any knowledge of how jersey giant roosters usually act - quiet/agrressive/calm/loud???
    Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm not familiar with Jersey Giants, but I'm inclined to say both girls. A four month old rooster usually already has long pointy saddle feathers, but your birds don't look anywhere close to growing saddle feathers.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am going to vote both pullets. I don't have JG's either, however they tend to grow at the same rate as Australorps, and are also confused with, which I do have. And my 4 month old girls look just like your Jersey Giants.

4. Eggcellent Adventure

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks, his/her face is SO much redder than the other the same age -- but maybe she's just coloring or maturing faster. We'd love 2 girls [​IMG] More eggs!

5. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I think she's getting red in the face because she's gonna start laying soon. [​IMG] Probably later this month or August.

The earliest I've ever had a hen lay was 18 weeks (Buff Orpington x Barred Rock).

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Looks to me like you have two ladies there

7. Eggcellent Adventure

Mar 27, 2011
    Now that would be great news!!! [​IMG] We have a flock of 12 chickens (different breeds, but all around the same age) and we haven't had the excitement of our first egg yet! Looking forward to it! We have really enjoyed having chickens since first getting them in the Spring. Never knew how much fun this would be.

8. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Red Stars are some of the earliest maturing birds! You'll likely be getting eggs from them by the time they're 20 weeks old. Get out the calendar, LOL! [​IMG]

9. AutumnHotChick

AutumnHotChick Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    Dunrobin, On Canada
    [​IMG]

This is my cockerel at 4 month and my ladies look like your pic

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with everyone else--it looks like you have two pullets, and one is getting close to laying. Roosters would be showing shiny pointed hackle (neck), saddle, and tail feathers by now, and most likely would have more developed combs and wattles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by