Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
I only have the Jersey Hen and Roo with a bunch of smaller breeds, so my roosts are about 3.5 feet to maybe 4 feet up. i do have a "ladder" of sorts, so they don't have to jump all the way up or all the way down. However, they use the ladder to get up, and jump down. i have a deep bed of shavings, over a raised plywood floor, so it has some give. It does shake the floor when my big roo jumps down from the roost.......but I don't have much choice....and he jumps just as high out in the yard, where there is always a way to use small jumps to get up high and then jump all the way down to the ground.

If you only had Jerseys, you would probably be better off with lower roosts. But a higher roost works just fine in my situation. I would not want a high roost on a solid dirt or, even worse, cement floor.

As a sidenote, I love that I don't have to worry about my Jerseys (especially my roo) flying up and over the fence. No way are they getting over my 4 foot fence. Noooooo way.....

I just found (on page 39 of the colored SOP book) the points system for the SOP. "The General Scale of Points." Anybody interested? There are 2 sets of points. One is for white and one is for other than white. The ones with * are points for, "other than white." The only difference in these, from the white, is that the shape and color are different points, but the total in that category is the same. The other points (without the *) are the same, white or not. ..... OK, here are the 100 points broken down:

SYMMETRY: 4 (shape)
WEIGHT OR SIZE: 4 (shape)
CONDITION AND VIGOR: 10 (shape)
COMB: 5 (shape)
BEAK: 3 (2 for shape, 1 for color)
SKULL & FACE: 4 (3 for shape, 1 for color)
EYES: 4 (2 for shape, 2 for color)
WATTLES: 2 (shape)
EARLOBES: 4 (2 for shape, 2 for color)
*NECK: 6 (1 for shape, 5 for color)
*BACK: 12 (6 for shape, 6 for color)
*TAIL: 8 (4 for shape, 4 for color)
*WINGS: 8 (3 for shape, 5 for color)
*BREAST: 10 (5 for shape, 5 for color)
*BODY & FLUFF: 8 (5 for shape, 3 for color)
LEGS & TOES: 8 (5 for shape, 3 for color)

So, it looks to me like that back is really important! 12 points there!

ETA: under SHAPE: BACK: Rather long, broad, nearly horizontal, with a short sweep to tail. For the hen: Rather long, broad it's entire length, carried nearly horizontal, ending in a short sweep to tail.

COLOR:
COMB, FACE, WATTLES & EAR LOBES: Bright red.
BEAK: Black, shading to yellow toward the tip.
EYES: Dark brown.
SHANKS & TOES: Nearly black with a tendency towards willow; black preferred. Underpart of feet, yellow.
PLUMAGE: (for blacks) lustrous greenish black; undercolor dull black.

Did you know you suffer point loss if the bird is too big (or too small)? Underweight is -2 for each pound. Over standard is: no cut for first pound, -2 for each additional pound. (I believe that is up to -4 points total, as it says weight or size is worth a total of 4 points ... right?) I looked at this, because I just love them HUGE ! LOL

Last edited:
Well I've been thinking about another meat/egg breed, and this is one I keep coming back to, Jerseys and the Chantecler. I like the size, typ, and color. I have a lot of family, and do they love to eat. my 4 bothers are 20-13 and most of the time 1 bird will not do. it would be late this year befor I could add any though, and I also want SQ birds, why not have it good all around right
smile.png

Do they eat much more then some of the smaller breeds? and do larger birds live shorter lives like dogs?

Kathy - how long have you had chickens? and I'm glad you started this
big_smile.png

The problem wish using Jerseys for meat is that they take two full years to mature to their full size; the first year, they put on their frames - the 2nd, they fill their frames out.

Hey all Finally have alittle time to post again We took our 8 month old rooster Indy and a 7 month old hen Mindy to the sunshine classic. I am happy to report Indy took first and best of breed. Mindy took first and Reserve breed. Remember he is only 8 months by the time the next shows come around in Florida he will be much larger and weigh more. He is 13 pounds now.lol Here is a pic from the show.
1737_img_0651.jpg

Micki ... That is wonderful!
clap.gif
You must be so proud! Congratulations on a great accomplishment!
thumbsup.gif

Now we can all look to you for help, right? Tell us all your secrets!
gig.gif

I have never been to a show, but hope to in the future. I guess I need to subscribe to the Poultry Press, someone told me, to find out when and where the shows are. Is there any other place that lists them?

Back
Top Bottom