Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Pics
Here is my current roo. I'm not sold on him being Jersy Giant, only because when I got him, his feet were yellow on the bottoms, but now they are grayish, almost pink, but not really. He has the green sheen, but it has purple sheen too. He's fairly young, no spurs yet, just bumps. He's a nice guy so far too.

I would really like some opinions on him, because I am thinking seriously of re-homing him to some nice people just starting their flock, and they want a roo to go with the older pullets I sold them. I know I have more roo's, but they are young, so my big girls would be without a roo for a few weeks at least. I'll only keep him if I get a mostly positive response on him. Please be critical and honest, I like him, but I'm not super attached!! thanks!

32504_jersey_roo_n_blue_002.jpg

32504_jersey_roo_n_blue_001.jpg

ETA- I clipped his wing feathers on one side, so they kinda look weird in the first pic, but the other side has full feathers and no white tips.

Last edited:
Quote:
What part of Kansas are you in? I have an extra blue Jersey Giant if you are interested.

is it a rooster or Hen we are making a trip up to St louis next month I might be able to talk DH into something by then
gig.gif
I want a JG so bad I had one when I was a kid was told he was a leghorn but after reading this post I now Know he was a JG I still miss him to this day.

My jersey giants have longer backs. Their tails are different too Are yuo sure he isnt an australope He kind of reminds me of a couple I used to have. Could be wrong JMHO Micki

edit to ad pic
1737_img_0474.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
About 3 weeks old now....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50076_jgaround3wksold_003.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50076_jgaround3wksold_006.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50076_jgaround3wksold_002.jpg

Quote:
It should be totally black when it is grown. I am actually kinda wondering about this chick. The eggs came from a breeder in Utah, but I am wondering.... I am watching the legs and feet change color. Pure JG should have yellow on the bottoms of their feet, so I will wait and see.

He is still a baby and cute. From my monitor I would have guessed him to be a blue; although, I would have though him to be a black at hatch. I am gladd he is doing well. Yes I see what you mean about the feet; they look a little pale.

Quote:
I'd guess a rooster; his waddles are rather large for a female at that age., but he has a good looking head. I would say he will end up a black, but he has that muted blue undertones.

Quote:
Historically, the Jersey Giant was a cross of Black Javas, Black Langshans, and Dark Brahma. I can see the Java face, Jersey comb and correct number of points, but they are not evenly separated (it doesn't mean they wount grow out with maturity), but his blade is not distinguished enough. The short body, looks to be more of an orpington or a langshan. His squirrel tail is a disqualifer and makes his body look shorter than it probably actually is. He is not show quality, but he is still a good looking fellow.

Quote:
Historically, the Jersey Giant was a cross of Black Javas, Black Langshans, and Dark Brahma. I can see the Java face, Jersey comb and correct number of points, but they are not evenly separated (it doesn't mean they wount grow out with maturity), but his blade is not distinguished enough. The short body, looks to be more of an orpington or a langshan. His squirrel tail is a disqualifer and makes his body look shorter than it probably actually is. He is not show quality, but he is still a good looking fellow.

Oh, I knew he wasnt show quality- I just grabbed him at the feed store right before a guy came who sells at the auction whatever he picks up there. I think his body is VERY short for a Jersey, I'm just wondering if he IS a Jersey, (maybe he's an a Australope), not just because of the size of his back, but because his feet are not really what I would call yellow at all anymore.

I want a good quality rooster, not looking for anything to show. Hopefully the new roo, or one of the eggs I hatch will have a higher quality roo.

Thanks you guys for your input, and for the education on the breed- I really apreciate everyone's opinions!

ETA- He has red lines on his legs, almost like you can see his veins running down to his feet.

Last edited:
Here's the first chick we ever hatched back on April 27, 2010. JJ. Here she is about 4 days old:

JJviolet.jpg

Here she is about two weeks ago:

JJcropped2.jpg

We have 2 more, one a hen and one a rooster we bought a few weeks ago at an age of about 2 weeks

Back
Top Bottom