Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

Here's my JG crew! Except for the two way in the back, but I love them anyway!

57171_img_2276.jpg

Quote:
gorgeous!

how would you describe your roo's personality? and is he really big?

I have two roosters. Little Joe is not quite as large as Stan the Man but is still a good sized fellow.

Stan the Man has just started to crow. Neither rooster has shown aggression and as young chicks were no more assertive than the girls. They are not the brave leaders of the flock. They get along with me and the girls quite well.

Little Joe

57171_img_2653.jpg

Stan the Man checking out my shorts. Despite being a late March hatch his head reaches my mid -thigh.

57171_img_2720.jpg

Both Cockerel submits to Little Sister. Although she does not like to be held, she likes to talk to me.

57171_img_2671.jpg

She does not have yellow on the bottom of her feet so I'm not sure exactly what she is. She does lay a small, light brown egg. She and Big Sister were purchased from a private breeder.

Big Sister quietly goes about her business but when she lays an egg the entire flock knows about it. Since the bottom of her feet are pink I'm not sure what breed she is, either. She lays a small, medium brown egg.

57171_img_2663.jpg

Quote:
Oh, that's good to know - I hear the roos take a good two years to fully mature physically, but I assume their temperaments come to light once the testosterone kicks in?

I've had to rehome too many roos lately because of all the crowing...

Am really hoping to keep Moose as he is adorable, such a calm youngster - are JG's known to be big crowers, in general?

All roosters crow but despite their large size the JG's voice is rather melodious. I love the deep 'bock-bock' they do.

These are not fancy JG's with such and such lines from so and so but they have been a joy to raise. One has green eyes while another has light brown eyes. Most are definitely not SOP but, hey, they are happy, healthy well adjusted chickens so I can't complain.

57171_img_2660.jpg

Back
Top Bottom