Joining The Guessing Game on Pullet or Roo? Give me your input!

Suzy P

Chirping
Mar 10, 2021
Pullet or Roo on #1 being the chick on the top pic & #2 being the second pic?
I'm purchasing these from a sweet lady. They are silkie mix chicks. She has to check on the date to be able to give me the correct age. And She thinks these are both pullets. I can't have any Roos due to my neighborhood.
I added a third picture of three hatched from the same eggs from the Silkies Mixed. Seller said the white with long neck is a roo and the other two are pullets. I thought I had better share the pic of all three.
Silkie Mix 1.jpg
Silkie Mix 2.jpg
1107D89E-3538-4D10-81B2-F036160C0B4B.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess, I'm gonna have to cross my fingers and toes and say a prayer that they are pullets!
They will be a week older than this picture when I pick them up.
I'm pretty sure silkies need to be a few months old before you can tell the gender. They don't even sell them sexed from hatcheries. I would just make sure you have something lined up if 1 or both end up being males

I'm pretty sure silkies need to be a few months old before you can tell the gender. They don't even sell them sexed from hatcheries. I would just make sure you have something lined up if 1 or both end up being males
I will have to give them to a friend of mine if any or both are roos.

As these are silkie mixes you will be able to tell a bit earlier if they are male or female. I think they’re too young to tell but if I had to guess the first one looks like a cockerel, red patches over the wings, but could just be the lighting in the photo and the second one looks like a pullet. But again they are too young to be sure.😊

They're too young to tell. Silkies take quite a bit of time before you can tell the gender.
Thank you
As these are silkie mixes you will be able to tell a bit earlier if they are male or female. I think they’re too young to tell but if I had to guess the first one looks like a cockerel, red patches over the wings, but could just be the lighting in the photo and the second one looks like a pullet. But again they are too young to be sure.😊
Thank you

Reading this exact comment is what's been on my mind today. There's a lady nearby with silky chicks and she's asking me to come look. Buuuut I see it all over that's its super hard to sex silkies.
It's like a pig in a poke, you don't know what your getting. I had one start crowing at 6 weeks and another one started with bright red cone and waddles at 3 weeks. I found those two a new home. I have two teen chicks left that I think are going to be hens. Prayers said.
Pictured are the two I kept that are thinking they are hens. Now the reddish brown one is 8 weeks old and the white and black one is 5 weeks old. The 8 week old one is coming in with cone and waddles of light pink and no crowing so far. The 5 week old, mighty bossy to the 8 week old one is not showing any cone or waddles coming in and no crowing so far.
PluckyJen, next time I will be looking for pullets that are old enough to know that is what they are. So if you want hens, look for pullets maybe 16 weeks or older.

Attachments

• 180274543_1008180780015890_8159714900372022237_n.jpg
    180274543_1008180780015890_8159714900372022237_n.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
It's like a pig in a poke, you don't know what your getting. I had one start crowing at 6 weeks and another one started with bright red cone and waddles at 3 weeks. I found those two a new home. I have two teen chicks left that I think are going to be hens. Prayers said.
Pictured are the two I kept that are thinking they are hens. Now the reddish brown one is 8 weeks old and the white and black one is 5 weeks old. The 8 week old one is coming in with cone and waddles of light pink and no crowing so far. The 5 week old, mighty bossy to the 8 week old one is not showing any cone or waddles coming in and no crowing so far.
PluckyJen, next time I will be looking for pullets that are old enough to know that is what they are. So if you want hens, look for pullets maybe 16 weeks or older.
Great advice thank you.
Ps. Those two are so pretty in their colouring!!!

Back
Top Bottom