Jose s Marneck chooks

Pics
Will crests be part of the finished goal?

yes they need to have crest .
we are working on F2 back cross to marans roosters to add feathered legs . we hatched few under broody hens .they look good .only have 9 chicks .
best pullets are penned with NN rooster .we want to add the NN genes to the project .

chooks man

F2 chicks from NN roo hatched .11 first couples of weeks ago and 5 yesterday . so this chicks are 50 % NN Blue Silky .25% Marans and 25% CLB . only 4 are NN .
P1130877.JPG
P1130878.JPG
P1130865.JPG

hope all the NN chicks will be cockerels . need them for my stage 3 of my breeding programs .
best cockerels from this F2 progeny will be mated back to original F1 hens on one side and to F2 hens from Marans roos over F1 other cross . that will give me 2 different F3 Marneck chooks.
F3 from F2 NN X F1 will have .37.5% marans , 37.5% CLB and 25% NN genes { NN and crest minimum legs feathering plus colored eggs }.
F3 from F2 NN X Marans hens will have 62.5% marans ,25% NN and 12,3 % CLB genes
[ NN with feathered legs minimum crest and colored eggs }

still have to make F2 from F1 X F1 that will give me another branch to breed from specifically for a Blue eggs and gorgeous crest .

chooks man

Are you attempting to produce a pure breeding blue egg layer? If so, have you considered sending feather samples to Germany to identify the roosters that carry one or two copies of the oocyanin gene?

Are you attempting to produce a pure breeding blue egg layer? If so, have you considered sending feather samples to Germany to identify the roosters that carry one or two copies of the oocyanin gene?

yes I m trying to breed a Blue egg layer true , sending feathers to Germany never thought or know any thing about it ,
it is easy to identify a pure blue eggs layer rooster ,test mating him to a white eggs layer . if all his daughter lay blue eggs ,than he is a carriers of the 2 genes .if only half of his daughter lay blue eggs than he is a carrier of one coppy of the genes .old school method .

I m in Australia by the way .
chooks man

yes I m trying to breed a Blue egg layer true , sending feathers to Germany never thought or know any thing about it ,
it is easy to identify a pure blue eggs layer rooster ,test mating him to a white eggs layer . if all his daughter lay blue eggs ,than he is a carriers of the 2 genes .if only half of his daughter lay blue eggs than he is a carrier of one coppy of the genes .old school method .

I m in Australia by the way .
chooks man

how many pullets do we need to be sure that he carries 2 blue egg genes?

Have to raise at least a dozen pullets from a rooster to verify he is homozygous for the blue egg trait. Cost of hatching 2 dozen chicks, raising only the females, waiting for them to lay to ensure they all lay blue eggs, plus maintaining the rooster in the meantime can easily run $200 to $400 or more. Consider that you have to trial mate at least 4 roosters in this way to find 1 that is homozygous, you can guess it gets expensive fast. Costs $30 U.S. to have DNA run on a feather sample. Run it for 4 roosters and odds are at least 1 will be homozygous blue, 1 homozygous non-blue, and two will be heterozygous blue.

The Silverudd's group has arranged for tests to be run by shipping feather samples from the U.S. to Germany. I requested permission to ship my samples with theirs. Barring incident, I have 18 samples on the way to Germany by March 15th.

https://www.silveruddsblue.org/resources

Have to raise at least a dozen pullets from a rooster to verify he is homozygous for the blue egg trait. Cost of hatching 2 dozen chicks, raising only the females, waiting for them to lay to ensure they all lay blue eggs, plus maintaining the rooster in the meantime can easily run $200 to $400 or more. Consider that you have to trial mate at least 4 roosters in this way to find 1 that is homozygous, you can guess it gets expensive fast. Costs $30 U.S. to have DNA run on a feather sample. Run it for 4 roosters and odds are at least 1 will be homozygous blue, 1 homozygous non-blue, and two will be heterozygous blue.

The Silverudd's group has arranged for tests to be run by shipping feather samples from the U.S. to Germany. I requested permission to ship my samples with theirs. Barring incident, I have 18 samples on the way to Germany by March 15th.

I live in greece.

a friend of mine has a roo in question. he might put a few white egg layers with his 2 green egg layers. if some of his girls produce pullets who lay eggs white inside it would mean he is not homozygous blue.

that is really great way to safe time and money .
I will try and look into it ,very interested , thank you for the info .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom