Judge Judy: Free Chickens

Laurajean

Slightly Touched
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I was watching Judge Judy today about a guy who responded to a Craig's List ad for "Free Chickens". He was 250 miles away (each way) from the couple who placed the ad offering the chickens. He made arrangements to meet them on a certain day and time and got there and no one was home. He called their cell phones and got one of them who said they had changed their minds. So he brought them to court, suing for return of his gas money and money for his time wasted. The couple who placed the ad really had no defense, they first claimed they forgot the appointment, but even after the man called them, they said they then changed their mind at that point.

So the man won, and Judge Judy awarded him his gas money round trip, which was around $100, plus another $50 an hour for the 4 1/2 hours he drove for nothing. I was a little surprised you could win something for a free ad, but they certainly were inconsiderate to let him drive all that way just to blow him off. I don't blame him, I would be pretty mad if I drove 500 miles for nothing!!

I sometimes wonder about those cases. I would never have thought you could get sued for not giving something away. I think if they changed their mind a phone call would have been nice. I can't believe driving 500 miles for chickens but I guess if they where what you really wanted.

I totally understand that guy. 250 miles is a big, big deal. But, at the same time, why not just buy some hatchery birds instead of driving all that way? Must've been alot of free chickens.

Squishy, where on EARTH did you get your puppy?!! He's adorable!! I love Jack Russells and he is one of the cutest I've seen!

That would have been a good episode to see but one has to wonder how much of that stuff is real or made up
hu.gif

Seems like I read they have to agree to accept whatever he decides -- no appeal recourse, etc. -- so she can essentially decide what she chooses.

Back
Top Bottom