July 2021 Hatch-A-Long

I accidentally created a chick because I forgot to remove a fertilised egg from my broody hen oops but little nugget here is growing well. Looking more like a dinosaur every day. I’m not ready to be a chicken grandma after raising chickens from 1 day old lol. Here’s a video of day 10? Not 100% sure how far along. The parents are a silkie and a polish/araucana cross. https://youtube.com/shorts/hRe-A-komtI?feature=share

One of my eggs disappeared ! Down to 12 ..... There was a terrible smell coming from the nest box, so I cleaned it out to find a wet spot on the bottom. Unsure where the moist spot came from.

Could she (or someone else) have eaten the egg, shell and all ??? Not even a scrap of shell left. Hopefully it's not a snake.

The nest box is on the ground, and the rest of the flock have access to it, and occasionally deposit their own eggs, which are removed daily.

Tarasita is very broody, almost unwilling to leave the nest. She is as big as a basketball !!! I have to drag her out every morning to grab a bite and a drink. I was glad to see she took a dust bath yesterday.

Plan to candle in a couple of days.

Today all but 1 egg hatched, 7/8. I candled the last egg, it didn't fully form into a chick.

View attachment 2745514

So I disinfected the incubator and now started the Deathlayer eggs. I have 12 to start and these are shipped eggs from Gff. I'll update here on the condition of the eggs on day 5.
Update on deathlayer eggs on day 3:
12 eggs total
9 fertile scrambled eggs
1 detached air cell unfertile
1 looks OK but might not make it full term
1 looks very good
I placed 2 of my own eggs in since it will be by itself when it hatches.

One of my eggs disappeared ! Down to 12 ..... There was a terrible smell coming from the nest box, so I cleaned it out to find a wet spot on the bottom. Unsure where the moist spot came from.

Could she (or someone else) have eaten the egg, shell and all ??? Not even a scrap of shell left. Hopefully it's not a snake.

The nest box is on the ground, and the rest of the flock have access to it, and occasionally deposit their own eggs, which are removed daily.

Tarasita is very broody, almost unwilling to leave the nest. She is as big as a basketball !!! I have to drag her out every morning to grab a bite and a drink. I was glad to see she took a dust bath yesterday.

Plan to candle in a couple of days.
Infertile or quitters get eaten or pushed out of the nest. It’s nature. Is there a reason you are forcing your chicken to eat and drink on your schedule? It’s not unheard of for a bird to never be seen out, but that’s because we aren’t watching 24/7, and as predators, even a trusting hen might want to wait until we’re away.

49A26ADB-D11C-4F92-81C2-2A5DE74BA368.jpeg

Day 12. What am I looking at?

Back
Top Bottom