July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

any ideas on my broody? She has been broody since right around when I put my eggs in the incubator. I didn't put them under her for 2 reasons. She was just broody in March/beginning of April and raised 2 chicks then went broody again the end of June. I didn't want her losing a bunch more weight so I kicked her off the nest a few times a day and to eat more and didn't want the eggs not being sat on that much. Plus I really want to see some hatch. LOL

Well it has been warm here this week and VERY humid but up till yesterday she only went off once a day for about 30min maybe an hour and then a quick one the times I kicked her off. Even being let out to free range she was back in on her own pretty quick. Well yesterday she was off for 3 hrs in the morning..... Then I had to clean the nest boxes out in the afternoon (I have mama's and babies that stay in them overnight still) so when I did hers I kicked her out then. Well she was out for about 4 hrs that time She went back in well before dusk (was out from about 2:30-6:30, dusk is a bit about 830) and slept in the nest box but then went back out at 5:30 shortly after everyone else. it is now 8am and she is still off......... Is she breaking on her own before the 3 weeks is up? last time she was broody for about 4-4.5 weeks before she hatched her baby (and I gave her 1 that hatched in the incubator)..... I am planning on having her raise the babies that hatch this time. She is sitting on fake eggs. Should I put one of the eggs from the incubator in so she can hear the chirping in a day or two? or maybe feel it moving around now so she knows she has live babies? I don't want her to break right before they are hatched....

wow your mama mothered them for a decent amount of time. So far mine have decided around 4-5 weeks they are done and start to roost again and leave the babies down in the nest box. Think I had one that went to 5.5 or 6 weeks. The one mama I have is still going strong and the babies just turned 5 weeks so guess we see how long she goes.
question--mama hen took them to roost for a few days before leaving them and they stayed up there all night with her. First night last night-2 were on the roosts and 3 were in the upper nesting boxes-I moved them up to by their hatch mates but wanted to know how long they will try and sleep in those boxes? I didn't want to have to move them every night but I will if needed. I am thinking a couple older hens might be scaring them down but we did add more roosting area so there is space for them just to be in their own group. I HATE cleaning nesting boxes daily.

Back
Top Bottom