July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
In other news, my 14 wk old Amberlink cockerels have started crowing!! I think the biggest boy (Zazoo) is the only one doing it so far, but he sounds so silly! I love those first few crows that sound like a broken squeaky toy!
My stud!
20220613_184830.jpg
20220613_184734.jpg

Ha! I have your incubator. How does the turner work for you? I haven't used it, only turned by hand.
Welp eggs are in! I planned on only doing 3 silkie eggs and the rest should be EE x Silkie crosses. But I ended up with a jumbo EE egg, that I was afraid was a double yolk so swapped it for another silkie one. Lol.

I'm in! This is my first hatch along.
I'm going to start four guinea eggs today that should hatch on the 24th, and 1 dozen to one and half dozen chicken eggs. Rare breeds and mutts. I love my mutts. :D I also just hatched four chicks yesterday and am picking up four one-day-old Ayam Cemani chicks today. I'm a little scattered right now... extreme happiness.

Ha! I have your incubator. How does the turner work for you? I haven't used it, only turned by hand.
It works just fine! I have used it to hatch once before and had no issues. I do recommend having a separate thermometer/ hygrometer though, especially since it doesn't say the humidity level. I ordered a couple cheap little digital ones on Amazon.

It works just fine! I have used it to hatch once before and had no issues. I do recommend having a separate thermometer/ hygrometer though, especially since it doesn't say the humidity level. I ordered a couple cheap little digital ones on Amazon.
I'll keep that in mind. I've only incubated twice, and I'm reluctant to put my darlings in the hands of a plastic ultra-slow turner... I haven't bought a hydrometer or thermometer yet. I just watch their development and my decisions from that. You could say I'm not a serious incubator-er... I do whatever I need to do to have successful hatches though. I had to assist a hatch yesterday. Ugh. If the bator mania becomes a regular thing with me, I'll definitely look into some hydro/thermometers.

I'll keep that in mind. I've only incubated twice, and I'm reluctant to put my darlings in the hands of a plastic ultra-slow turner... I haven't bought a hydrometer or thermometer yet. I just watch their development and my decisions from that. You could say I'm not a serious incubator-er... I do whatever I need to do to have successful hatches though. I had to assist a hatch yesterday. Ugh. If the bator mania becomes a regular thing with me, I'll definitely look into some hydro/thermometers.
Gotcha I am obsessive when incubating. Haha. I constantly check the temp and humidity when I'm home.

Ok, totally off topic, but I'm trying to distract myself....I have 4 kittens that are about 3.5 months old, and my favorite (Corporal Nobbs- a girl, named after a Terry Pratchett character by DH) just recently had a dislocated leg. We think she fell from the tree in the front yard because they've been climbing it and exploring up there a lot. Anyway, her leg was at an almost 90* angle the first day it happened. I was so worried she'd never be able to walk right. Fast forward to today (about a week later) and she's getting around just fine! Didn't even have a chance to take her to the vet before she started to improve greatly. Kittens and chicks are so resilient! Here's a pic of my little trooper! This is before the injury:
View attachment 3163822

And here she is this morning. Her leg (back right) is still a little bent looking, but she moves around normally now.
View attachment 3163825
Sorry it's not chicken related...I just love her so much and I'm so glad she's doing better. Thought you all would want to meet her too! ❤
She is adorable! 😍 Happy she survived the fall without serious injury.

In other news, my 14 wk old Amberlink cockerels have started crowing!! I think the biggest boy (Zazoo) is the only one doing it so far, but he sounds so silly! I love those first few crows that sound like a broken squeaky toy!
My stud!
View attachment 3163846
View attachment 3163847
He’s a handsome fellow! Has he been nice so far? Was he straight run or an accidental rooster?

I’ve always wanted an Amberlink. However, all my recently hatched barnyard mixes will almost certainly be brown egg layers. So it’ll probably be years before I bring in any other brown layers.

Back
Top Bottom