July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Not as high as poultry, but higher than cattle or horses which most people won't use without aging. Directly onto a plant...15 is a bit high depending on the plant.

While I've never used rabbit manure, I have used alpaca and goat manure fresh and it can burn plants. It's better to compost it (hot or cold) or spread it on the garden heavily in the fall when the garden is done. Winter helps break it down so the nutrients are more readily available in the soil come spring.

Tab2_Manure-3.png
Huh, very interesting!!! Thanks!!!

Not as high as poultry, but higher than cattle or horses which most people won't use without aging. Directly onto a plant...15 is a bit high depending on the plant.

While I've never used rabbit manure, I have used alpaca and goat manure fresh and it can burn plants. It's better to compost it (hot or cold) or spread it on the garden heavily in the fall when the garden is done. Winter helps break it down so the nutrients are more readily available in the soil come spring.

Tab2_Manure-3.png
I’m not sure where you got this, but I found this

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/bunny_honey_using_rabbit_manure_as_a_fertilizer

Tab2_Manure-3.png
Nice reference! Thanks for sharing!
I've done that with brambles and I Love the clearance sections in the gardening depsrtment of the big box home stores. So many great plants for only $1 and all they need is a little water and love.
Yes!! Got rhubarb and hops and plum and honeycrisp apple trees that way recently. Got a kind of eclectic mix of permaculture going, but it's been fun.
Better to go slow than overwhelm yourself
For sure!

Tab2_Manure-3.png
And my pepper plants are doing better with the rabbit poop. They were doing horrible before I added it... I think it’s the heat. It is just one particular pepper that’s doing poorly, I think it’s the plant itself. My other peppers are doing good and have peppers on them.

Sorry for responding 3 different times 😂 I get distracted and remember something else I wanted to say.

And my pepper plants are doing better with the rabbit poop. They were doing horrible before I added it... I think it’s the heat. It is just one particular pepper that’s doing poorly, I think it’s the plant itself. My other peppers are doing good and have peppers on them.

Sorry for responding 3 different times 😂 I get distracted and remember something else I wanted to say.
:lau :gig :lau that’s like me!!!

I don’t think I have the garden space required for watermelon. If I owned this property, most of the land would be turned into a garden with no grass! That’s my vision for my yard in the years to come.
I've seen YouTubers growing watermelon on cattle panel arched trellises in raised beds. They support the fruit with netting as it grows.

I have a book that lists rabbit manure as hot, but everything else I've read or watched anywhere & everyone else I've spoken to have said that rabbit manure is one of the few manures that can be applied directly to the garden and raved about how well it worked for them. I just figured the writer of that book was mistaken. (I can't remember which book I read it in, though. :oops:)

I raised meat rabbits for three years and I used it fresh as well as aged my manure. However, we had 100 rabbits. That is a lot of manure to put on plants when it hasn't cooled off for a bit. By aging, I mean a week or two by choice and months not by choice (100 rabbits poop a lot and plants only need so much). Nothing fancy. Smaller amounts without aging seemed to be fine here and there. By the end of the adventure we actually started selling the droppings as we had way too much in stockpile. Good times.

We just put in our orchard this year. I too had been collecting and rehabbing "neglected" trees for years from stores in the area. I actually picked some out fresh and exactly what I wanted to finish it out this year. That kind of was exhilarating, though expensive.

Next up on our list is our trellises for our kiwis. And then the patio and beds for the grapes. I am slowly convincing my husband that we do not need acres of grass. After seven years of living with it he is finally conceding!

One of the drawbacks of this horridly cooler than normal weather besides heat lamps is that our garden is just doing awful. And the pollinators are dozing away. I wait all year for the sunny days of our warmer season. It makes living here through the various shades of the winter drizzle and gray worth it. If you can't tell I am peeved with the weather! lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom