July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Something to cheer us up! My first (and only) FBCM today at three days old! Anyone able to feather sex this baby? Give me an educated guess?

View attachment 2238776.

I don't know the first thing about feather sexing, but that is one cutie-patudie!
Good luck with the next batch.
I have no idea if this made any difference at all, but I set my humidity at 43% and temp at 100.6* for incubation, and 65% humidity and 99.5* for lockdown.

Both of us got a bit impatient. She had started to zip but only got a little ways through. After a few hours, with her still struggling, I started to help a bit. Enough so she could finish the job.

It seems she was a bit too eager to get out! I have her in a mug with a paper towel right now so she can finish absorbing the bit of yolk left. Shes not happy about it, but she's energetic with vigor and not bleeding!

1594496542565.png

Her (brother?) has been the fastest grower the whole time and had the most movement. Seems more time is needed though, as (s)he is still "chewing" and hasnt done an external pip yet. I had this same scenario happen last time. I was gone for 1 hour, and it didnt make it. Still dont know why

@slbenter
The breeder I'm getting my eggs from said she has been breeding these exclusively for 14 years. She also suggested incubating at 101 and keeping the humidity around 40%-45% and then raising it to about 70% during lockdown. My last hatch I kept it about 45%-47% and temp was set to 101 because I can't set it to half degrees and setting it at 100 seemed to drop it too low on the downward heat cycle. The heat would shut off at 101 and turn back on at 100. Actual temp would drop to about 99.6 on the low end of the cycle. Thanks for the advice... keep your fingers crossed. My baby needs some friends! :)

Something to cheer us up! My first (and only) FBCM today at three days old! Anyone able to feather sex this baby? Give me an educated guess?

View attachment 2238776View attachment 2238777View attachment 2238778View attachment 2238779View attachment 2238781View attachment 2238782View attachment 2238783View attachment 2238785
It looks like two rows of feathers on the wing, which (the oracles say) means it's a girl. I'm told this is only reliable though, if the breeders have selected for this trait.

Day 7: 13/14 Silverudd's, 6/7 Marans, 5/8 Fifty Five Flowery remaining.

Day 5: 9/14 DSL Barnevelder, 6/10 fridge eggs, 10/12 local eggs remaining.

This includes 2 cracked and repaired shipped eggs. Those are doing surprisingly well.

Goldie, the broody, cracked 2 eggs in the nest. Made a huge mess. I pulled all remaining eggs back inside to wash. While I was washing them one crushed in my hand! Guess those hens aren't getting enough calcium or something. I probably had too many under her anyway. I squeeze tested all other eggs. They seemed ok. Gave 4 back to her.

IMG_20200711_150001625.jpg IMG_20200711_145937902.jpg

Little bit of wiggling here and there, but otherwise quiet.

I weighed this morning, start of day 18, and I guess there is some real porosity differences in these Biele eggs! One egg only lost 9.6%. A couple others lost 10, 11, or 12, (normal) and the last two lost 14.8 and 15.3% Sheesh! :hmm

The eggs from my flock, and I'm sure denser shells, lost between 7 to 11%. A tad low, but if I had dropped the humidity any more the Bieles might have dried too much.

Still waiting for this one to hatch. It's been a full day of healthy chirping, and still no external pip. Chick is definitely still growing, but it looks like the membrane is starting to yellow. It's still clicking a little bit and doing the chewing motion, but it is definitely moving/trying to move around in there. Intervention time?

1594508044465.png

Still waiting for this one to hatch. It's been a full day of healthy chirping, and still no external pip. Chick is definitely still growing, but it looks like the membrane is starting to yellow. It's still clicking a little bit and doing the chewing motion, but it is definitely moving/trying to move around in there. Intervention time?

View attachment 2239051
That is an external pip and it’s gone through the membrane too. I would put oil or antibiotic ointment (not with pain relief) on it to moisten the membrane so you can get a better look at the veins.

ETA do not put the oil or ointment near it’s beak because it can clog it’s nostrils.

Back
Top Bottom