July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Still waiting for this one to hatch. It's been a full day of healthy chirping, and still no external pip. Chick is definitely still growing, but it looks like the membrane is starting to yellow. It's still clicking a little bit and doing the chewing motion, but it is definitely moving/trying to move around in there. Intervention time?

View attachment 2239051

It doesn't need to pip because it's open. Apply some antibiotic ointment without pain relief to the membrane to make it translucent. If the blood vessels have receded then you can assist. If you see any blood at all, apply gentle pressure and continue to wait (I have a q-tip on hand and ready just in case when doing this to apply pressure with).

It doesn't need to pip because it's open. Apply some antibiotic ointment without pain relief to the membrane to make it translucent. If the blood vessels have receded then you can assist. If you see any blood at all, apply gentle pressure and continue to wait (I have a q-tip on hand and ready just in case when doing this to apply pressure with).
It was me that opened this, sorry I did not make that clear. Internal pipped on its own about 24 h ago.

I started a small hole at first and have kept it wrapped and moistened when not checking it. I did not want a repeat of last time

Good advice though, thank you

It was me that opened this, sorry I did not make that clear. Internal pipped on its own about 24 h ago.

I started a small hole at first and have kept it wrapped and moistened when not checking it. I did not want a repeat of last time

Next time open it less because the membrane will dry out too much with a hole that size.

It’s internally pipped so I would just leave it. It’s getting plenty of air at this point.

If it were mine I would let it hatch on its own. I find less issues like splay leg letting them do the work instead of me.

No worries, I assumed you opened the shell. I'm not a hands off hatcher, I assist when I feel it's needed as well. The build up of carbon dioxide in the shell is what stimulates the chick to pip, so when the shell is already open it's not uncommon to not see the chick trying to externally pip at all and may only start to move once it starts to zip but if it's dry it won't be able to rotate to zip.

Next time open it less because the membrane will dry out too much with a hole that size.

It’s internally pipped so I would just leave it. It’s getting plenty of air at this point.

If it were mine I would let it hatch on its own. I find less issues like splay leg letting them do the work instead of me.

No worries, I assumed you opened the shell. I'm not a hands off hatcher, I assist when I feel it's needed as well. The build up of carbon dioxide in the shell is what stimulates the chick to pip, so when the shell is already open it's not uncommon to not see the chick trying to externally pip at all and may only start to move once it starts to zip but if it's dry it won't be able to rotate to zip.

The initial hole was much smaller, I only opened further after not seeing any progress for 24h. I keep it hydrated and sealed when not checking on it. I try to be as hands off as I can, but if I suspect something, I intervene. Still fairly new to this, and I imagine you're right FortCluck, unassisted would have less issues in general

CND: I have been keeping that in mind about the CO2, which is part of why I try to seal up the hole as much as I can without it being air tight

I'm keeping a close eye on it, and from what it looks like, it's up to me now since I've intervened

Thnak you both for the response and speediness

EDIT: in the minute since making this post, it has started to zip!! Or at least peck away at what it can

The initial hole was much smaller, I only opened further after not seeing any progress for 24h. I keep it hydrated and sealed when not checking on it. I try to be as hands off as I can, but if I suspect something, I intervene. Still fairly new to this, and I imagine you're right FortCluck, unassisted would have less issues in general

CND: I have been keeping that in mind about the CO2, which is part of why I try to seal up the hole as much as I can without it being air tight

I'm keeping a close eye on it, and from what it looks like, it's up to me now since I've intervened

Thnak you both for the response and speediness

EDIT: in the minute since making this post, it has started to zip!! Or at least peck away at what it can
What a relief. It's so much better when they can hatch by themselves. How's the chick doing now?

Well it took 2.5 hours, but it made it out!! I'm guessing this one is male with a bigger beak, and because you cant tell this early anyways. Ended up recording the entire hatching process. Maybe one day it will become a time lapse movie

1594520660748.png

1594520688309.png

Back
Top Bottom