July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.2%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 60 34.9%

• Total voters
Sorry! :hugs

I've snuck chicks under a broody so many times I can't remember. Even poults under a chicken mom and the duckling I've posted about before.
The duckling was the only daytime sneak and I already knew what an awesome mom the hen was. Everything else was at night, but early like between 10:00 and midnight.
Any losses were because of a bad location/chick falling out if the nest area, but otherwise it was successful. I don't know if it was because of breed or just dumb luck.
I give chicks in broad daylight to my flock and they decide who’s going to care for it.

I haven’t ever lost chicks due to my flock killing them. I think my flock is just so tightly knit. I know who will succeed in my flock and who won’t.

the drizzle we've had since they hatched (on Weds) has finally cleared, so the chicks decided it was OK to come out of the coop today :p
P1090871.JPG

Here’s our baby welsumer 😍. and it’s a she!! (I think. Lol)
B96D047F-B4A7-4445-81AE-1B456396363E.jpeg

And this is the other egg that had pipped under mama this morning....It’s been like this for the last couple of hours....Going to leave her another couple of hours but I’m afraid with so much of the membrane exposed it might dry out.....

what would you guys do? or is this normal under a broody? Maybe mama has been picking at the shell? I turned it so that the membrane was more underneath mama so that hopefully it won’t get too dry.

6E95DC3B-6F60-4B02-8C84-F8FB202E74B7.jpeg

I would like you'lls opinion on American Bresse breed, are they good egg layers and dual purpose breed. All opinions appreciated thank you

Update I couldn't help myself but that finger did it again :eek:, more hatching eggs on the way for an August hatch. I love those little balls of fluff :love I still have about 50 babies from 1 week to 10 weeks old now

The second NR360 finally arrived yesterday after several months delays in shipping, I may have to fill it up just to check out.

I have been trying to get some Bresse chicks to hatch for about a month now. My first batch of eggs detoured to Arizona and were about 10 days old when I got them. I bought some more from the same seller (they sent me double this time) and there was a big gaping hole in the box and the air cells went half way down the sides of the eggs all the way around on all of them - 9 clears and 3 blood rings on that batch. They just sent me another 6 free of charge - air cells are a bit better on this set, so we will see. Before this seller sent the free ones, I had placed another order with a different seller from a different region (my luck with eggs from Georgia has been about the same as getting them from Virginia or the Carolinas....but I think I found a way to get them to me safely from Virginia and the Carolinas....Don't label them "hatching eggs". The 2 batches that have come to me with only 1 small "fragile" written on them have actually been okay!). Anyway, I am hoping my 12 from Texas (and the 6 from Georgia) produce something this time. I have been so excited to try the Bresse breed (and one of the few my husband is actually excited about too). The whole marbling like beef thing, I think would make the meat extra juicy. The lady I bought my assorted bantams from has Bresse chickens and highly recommended them. She said it was the juiciest meat she had ever eaten. She finishes hers on corn and dairy like the French do (this is how I plan on finishing mine too). I have read that the white colored Bresse marble better than the blue and black Bresse...but 🤷‍♀️. The eggs that I have received in all 4 orders have been large to extra large eggs.

I have been trying to get some Bresse chicks to hatch for about a month now. My first batch of eggs detoured to Arizona and were about 10 days old when I got them. I bought some more from the same seller (they sent me double this time) and there was a big gaping hole in the box and the air cells went half way down the sides of the eggs all the way around on all of them - 9 clears and 3 blood rings on that batch. They just sent me another 6 free of charge - air cells are a bit better on this set, so we will see. Before this seller sent the free ones, I had placed another order with a different seller from a different region (my luck with eggs from Georgia has been about the same as getting them from Virginia or the Carolinas....but I think I found a way to get them to me safely from Virginia and the Carolinas....Don't label them "hatching eggs". The 2 batches that have come to me with only 1 small "fragile" written on them have actually been okay!). Anyway, I am hoping my 12 from Texas (and the 6 from Georgia) produce something this time. I have been so excited to try the Bresse breed (and one of the few my husband is actually excited about too). The whole marbling like beef thing, I think would make the meat extra juicy. The lady I bought my assorted bantams from has Bresse chickens and highly recommended them. She said it was the juiciest meat she had ever eaten. She finishes hers on corn and dairy like the French do (this is how I plan on finishing mine too). I have read that the white colored Bresse marble better than the blue and black Bresse...but 🤷‍♀️. The eggs that I have received in all 4 orders have been large to extra large eggs.
That's where I am getting 6 white from Georgia, I am excited to try them and if they are that good I will expand that group. Now I can't wait, I wish you the best this time

Back
Top Bottom