July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.2%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 60 34.9%

• Total voters
I have multiple hatches this month. So I voted hatchaholic.
I usually hatch a couple times a month. Sometimes there is a hiatus.
I'm happy to report that I have 66 nice Black Penedesenca eggs in the incubator. The only issue is that they are a staggered hatch with 4 different set dates.
Luckily I have a separate old style Sportsman hatcher.

Last edited:
Ok this is so weird. I went back up to check on the chick in this egg
D4D07A52-85D3-431B-90FC-4B9228D6CF8D.jpeg
. I can see it’s beak through the membrane so it’s breathing, but it has not started zipping the membrane. The shell is almost all the way off apart from a little at the top and bottom.

I put a bit of coconut oil on the membrane and it still looks quite red so I’m thinking maybe baby is still absorbing blood vessels even though I can’t really see any definite vessels, and mama or the other chick has been picking at the shell. 🤷‍♀️

hoping it’ll be out soon. it’s still chirping and moving....should I just wait??

I finally have my first ever pip and I’m worried. The pip is pretty much in the middle of the egg. Not really close to the air cell I had drawn at all. I don’t hear anything or see any movement. These are shipped eggs. Any advice/thoughts? View attachment 2253209

That chick decided to skip the internal pip and go right for the external pip - due to position in the egg. Just keep an eye on it. It may take 48 hours for it to start zipping.

that baby under mama was still not out this morning and the membrane was sticking to her. The yolk sack isn’t fully absorbed and was bulging out of the membrane, and mama was starting to peck at it. 😣

I brought her inside, helped her out of the membrane and now she’s resting in a little cup in the incubator waiting for the yolk to absorb.

I swapped the other chick that has hatched and dried to under mama and she took it fine. 😊

58789E52-963E-419F-A619-8ADBDC1F2A78.jpeg

And we have 3 more BO babies overnight in the incubator. No more have hatched under mama yet.

Back
Top Bottom