July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.2%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 60 34.9%

• Total voters
Pics
It would seem that I’m a victim of the dreaded “Saturday delivery” of my Delaware eggs. Tracking shows that they hit Nashville at 3am this morning, but it’s now 8am, and no call from our PO. (We are located 2 hours west of Nashville)
The other 2 deliveries, I received a call from our carrier by now, and they’re only open until 11am. This means that those eggs, if they don’t get here until Monday, will be 7 days in transit , possibly 8 or 9 days old.

This listing on eBay said they were sent “priority mail”, but I suppose that doesn’t mean they were shipped 2 day priority. Why charge me 15 bucks for shipping if they weren’t going to ship 2 day priority?

Joining in the July hatching thread. Our hen, Jet, a bantam cochin, went broody and is set to hatch her 11 eggs on or around July 3. :) We gave her 7 eggs originally (one was not fertilized and we took it out), then she adopted 5 of another hen's when she decided to not be broody anymore. Jet is a good mama. :love I have no idea whose eggs we originally gave her, but the 5 she adopted are bantam OEGB. We have a red pyle hen and red pyle, silver duckwing, and bb roos. I'm super excited to see what hatches out! :)

It would seem that I’m a victim of the dreaded “Saturday delivery” of my Delaware eggs. Tracking shows that they hit Nashville at 3am this morning, but it’s now 8am, and no call from our PO. (We are located 2 hours west of Nashville)
The other 2 deliveries, I received a call from our carrier by now, and they’re only open until 11am. This means that those eggs, if they don’t get here until Monday, will be 7 days in transit , possibly 8 or 9 days old.

This listing on eBay said they were sent “priority mail”, but I suppose that doesn’t mean they were shipped 2 day priority. Why charge me 15 bucks for shipping if they weren’t going to ship 2 day priority?
I am so sorry to hear this! Yes, priority doesn't mean express. I had contacted Omega Hills and asked them to send express and they said they would but in the end they forgot to and shipped them priority. Fortunately, I was able to intercept them a day early so they only spent two days in the postal system. I'm crossing my fingers for you and hoping against hope!

Update.
PO called me about an hour after I posted my last comment today. They came, and the labeling on the package said that the seller did indeed send them 2 day priority. So much for that huh?

Ok, candled them all with a flashlight and my fancydarnschmancy Ova Scope. Figured I have 30 days to return it so I might as well put it to some use, maybe get a different perspective between the two. This time, I saw a little bit more with the scope...but these are white Delaware eggs, easier to see things.
The eggs look fine, but one of the larger eggs appears to have a side-saddle air sack. Gonna try to add it's picture, take with my cell phone, plus another that doesn't have this "ring" on the side. If you experienced candling sages could kindly confirm what I think I'm seeing, I'd really appreciate it. It's all new to me so just trying to absorb all the lessons I can.
It's the second pic that I think has the airsack on the side...if you can kind of make out a very light, ring in the middle of it.
20200620_110906.jpg
20200620_110747.jpg

I think there is something going on with the USPS in your region of the US. My last 3 shipments of hatching eggs from that area were broken or terribly shook up and took longer to get to me. My eggs from the South, the ohio area, and Utah have been in great shape and made it here very quickly.

Update.
PO called me about an hour after I posted my last comment today. They came, and the labeling on the package said that the seller did indeed send them 2 day priority. So much for that huh?

Ok, candled them all with a flashlight and my fancydarnschmancy Ova Scope. Figured I have 30 days to return it so I might as well put it to some use, maybe get a different perspective between the two. This time, I saw a little bit more with the scope...but these are white Delaware eggs, easier to see things.
The eggs look fine, but one of the larger eggs appears to have a side-saddle air sack. Gonna try to add it's picture, take with my cell phone, plus another that doesn't have this "ring" on the side. If you experienced candling sages could kindly confirm what I think I'm seeing, I'd really appreciate it. It's all new to me so just trying to absorb all the lessons I can.
It's the second pic that I think has the airsack on the side...if you can kind of make out a very light, ring in the middle of it.View attachment 2203730View attachment 2203734

Glad they made it there okay!! That looks like my opal legbar eggs that have side air cells. Does it go all the way up into the fat end of the egg, or is it only on the side?

Glad they made it there okay!! That looks like my opal legbar eggs that have side air cells. Does it go all the way up into the fat end of the egg, or is it only on the side?

Only on the side.
So I am correct in my assessment....I won’t bother to try to hatch it if it will more than likely cause a problem for the chick. I have more than enough eggs to fit my bater.
The decent looking extras are going to be incubated in a dough warmer. 😛 I just set it up to go to 99*, and put clean padding and a clean kitchen towel on the bottom metal grate. The Humidity is over 40% in the house anyway, and the last few days I can just put something wet like a sponge or something in there, and maybe I’ll get lucky. Got nothing to lose. ☺

Set my Salmon Favorelle eggs today and the Melanistic pheasant eggs arrived and will be set tomorrow. Air cells on the pheasant eggs were kind of saddled, more than I would expect for such small eggs.

Candled the Opal Legbar eggs (day 7) and from the 7 left, removed 3 blood rings and 2 clears....so down to 2 viable eggs. Really crossing my fingers for 1 cockerel and 1 pullet. Candled the Blue Birchen Marans Eggs and have 3 out of 4 viable. I have myself all confused now as I should have 6 BBM eggs, but I don't. Wondering if I accidentally candled and tossed 2 when I candled and tossed the further along BCM eggs because I don't remember any being broke upon arrival or maybe they were definite blood rings at day 4. :confused: My notes have been terrible lately as I'm usually candling in a rush because DH needs me to do something on the farm or it is late and I need to get to bed.

Set my Salmon Favorelle eggs today and the Melanistic pheasant eggs arrived and will be set tomorrow. Air cells on the pheasant eggs were kind of saddled, more than I would expect for such small eggs.

Candled the Opal Legbar eggs (day 7) and from the 7 left, removed 3 blood rings and 2 clears....so down to 2 viable eggs. Really crossing my fingers for 1 cockerel and 1 pullet. Candled the Blue Birchen Marans Eggs and have 3 out of 4 viable. I have myself all confused now as I should have 6 BBM eggs, but I don't. Wondering if I accidentally candled and tossed 2 when I candled and tossed the further along BCM eggs because I don't remember any being broke upon arrival or maybe they were definite blood rings at day 4. :confused: My notes have been terrible lately as I'm usually candling in a rush because DH needs me to do something on the farm or it is late and I need to get to bed.
My notes have been crap lately and I hate that. We had a lot of rain and a late cold snap that delayed getting our corn and garden in and seems like we've been running behind since. There are some definite upsides to winter hatching. Hope you get some good pairs from these hatches!

Back
Top Bottom