July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Pics
My Polish Deathlayers are a hit! I showed them to a friend who is very picky with chickens. He told me he’s coming back and he’s getting some 😂 I love when people enjoy my eye for crossing chicken breeds.

They definitely look like fun chicks in the pics you have shared! Just out of curiosity, I checked out Deathlayer eggs on ebay....nothing for under $50!

So since my silky egg order was canceled I ordered some beilefelder eggs last night.:oops: I wasn't going to order shipped eggs but I just couldn't help myself. I like the fact these are autosexing and they are beautiful birds. Got the notification this morning that they are on there way. :celebrate Now if they just make it safe and sound we will be ready to set next week when they get here. Have some of my own eggs hatching this weekend. Lockdown was last night. On a sadder note a coon got my broody hen and most of her eggs last night.:hit There were a few eggs that still looked okay so I put them in the bator before I left for work. I'm so over the racoons this year!!! I've lost 10 older chicks in less than a week to the stupid vermin! :mad:
Wow, fast turn around time on the Biele eggs! Mine are supposed to go out today too. Not sure though how I feel about them just sitting somewhere on Sunday.

Raccoons- 🤬. Just lost a hen this morning to a reach through the fence varmint. Probably a new raccoon looking for a better place to hunt since I got the last ones. I've got the trap out!

It does not. It's really pretty settled right where it's at. How should I position it? Sorry about the turkey eggs... I think ducks will be next year for me. We need a pond first but I'm already researching breeds and building a wish list.
Nice! I never thought I'd have ducks, but they've been really great! Strangely, I have been getting way better hatch rates with them than with chickens too. The last couple hatches have been 100%. I don't do quite as well with chickens, maybe because they're shipped.

Does your incubator keep the eggs upright? That is one I'd probably incubate laying on it's side. If you only have upright options, someone else may know better than I do about which way to go there.

Nice! I never thought I'd have ducks, but they've been really great! Strangely, I have been getting way better hatch rates with them than with chickens too. The last couple hatches have been 100%. I don't do quite as well with chickens, maybe because they're shipped.

Does your incubator keep the eggs upright? That is one I'd probably incubate laying on it's side. If you only have upright options, someone else may know better than I do about which way to go there.
The eggs sit upright in the turners. I'm not sure how I could safely lay it on it's side. For now, I have it in the turner with the pointed end up. That air cell just doesn't want to move. I don't know if that's worse than a detached air cell or not. :idunno

I'm happy to see so many bielefelders out there! They really are a wonderful breed! My head roo is the coolest chillest chicken boy ever and still protects his ladies. I added from two other flocks this spring and am working on growing my biele population. Hope you all enjoy them as I have!
I'm really hoping they will be a good fit for us. I dislike a bad tempered roo but need to keep a few around so maybe these will be the right ones. Do your hens go broody very often? How old is/are your roos?

I do miss having ducks like I did on my previous farm, but maybe once I get things built to my liking here and have better perimeter fencing up I'll think about getting them again.

I'm really hoping they will be a good fit for us. I dislike a bad tempered roo but need to keep a few around so maybe these will be the right ones. Do your hens go broody very often? How old is/are your roos?

I do miss having ducks like I did on my previous farm, but maybe once I get things built to my liking here and have better perimeter fencing up I'll think about getting them again.
We ate the first batch of boys. This guy is actually a cockerel hatched in October. He is so calm and steady. He had his moments at about the 4 month mark where he was harassing the girls a bit, but he's been a really calm presence in the flock for the most part once he got comfortable with his grown-up self. He will step between chicken arguments and just walk between until someone walks away. I've brooded 4 groups of chicks out in his coop this spring and he's never pecked any of the littles as they start venturing into the coop. He won't let me hold and snuggle on him like he used to, but he takes his job seriously and is becoming a great roo. My biele girls are also young and have yet to go broody. They do seem to all develop later than my other breeds and were laying a few months later than expected. Overall very happy with the breed.

What kind of ducks did you have?

Back
Top Bottom