July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Pics
I actually have this one in my watching list. They are just a bit pricey for shipped eggs but they are closer to me so it might be worth a try.

Here is one of the 2 splash silkies we hatched from eggs from that seller. We also hatched 2 whites and a blue. Only 1 didn't make it. We also have a 1 year old buff and a 1 year old partridge in the flock from hatching from the same seller last year (Had hatched out a light blue one with that bunch last year) and just lost our 6 month old black silkie from them a couple months ago (bad hatch that time around as that is about when my old incubator really started acting up - what a difference a good incubator makes!).
20200618_101227.jpg
20200618_101217.jpg

Here is one of the 2 splash silkies we hatched from eggs from that seller. We also hatched 2 whites and a blue. Only 1 didn't make it. We also have a 1 year old buff and a 1 year old partridge in the flock from hatching from the same seller last year (Had hatched out a light blue one with that bunch last year) and just lost our 6 month old black silkie from them a couple months ago (bad hatch that time around as that is about when my old incubator really started acting up - what a difference a good incubator makes!).
View attachment 2201233View attachment 2201234
Quick....don't let Clucky see this! She might steal it. 😆

I was finally able to see inside my eggs using a 4000 lumens flashlight. Surprised to find that there are only a couple that have saddles but several with detached air sacs. I am 25 hours into incubation and I just turned on the egg turners.
There's two with issues I am unsure what to do. One seems to have air bubbles but I couldn't tell for certain. Another has the air sac at the pointed end of the shell. I turned it up side down so the air sac is at the top. Is that what I should have done? We have a lot of eggs that are rounded but this one wasn't. It clearly has a pointed end and the air sac seems to be nestled at that end quite happily. Thoughts? Also, the one with the air bubbles... how long should I wait to see if it's okay before I risk having an exploding egg?

I was finally able to see inside my eggs using a 4000 lumens flashlight. Surprised to find that there are only a couple that have saddles but several with detached air sacs. I am 25 hours into incubation and I just turned on the egg turners.
There's two with issues I am unsure what to do. One seems to have air bubbles but I couldn't tell for certain. Another has the air sac at the pointed end of the shell. I turned it up side down so the air sac is at the top. Is that what I should have done? We have a lot of eggs that are rounded but this one wasn't. It clearly has a pointed end and the air sac seems to be nestled at that end quite happily. Thoughts? Also, the one with the air bubbles... how long should I wait to see if it's okay before I risk having an exploding egg?
Does the air cell not return to the fat end of the egg? I did hear of this happening a time or two. I'd keep an eye on it if that is the case as that can be an extra challenge at hatching time. What are the air bubbles? The best test for avoiding exploding egg in my experience has been the sniff test.

The ill-fated turkey eggs I got a week late and set had to be pulled as they were clear one of them was stinking. I think turkeys aren't meant to be for me this year as this is the second try. The other attempt was a local swap for ducklings and the guy drove almost an hour to my house and forgot the turkey eggs. haha...

To console myself, I set 3 new duck breeds. I do so love my ducks!

So since my silky egg order was canceled I ordered some beilefelder eggs last night.:oops: I wasn't going to order shipped eggs but I just couldn't help myself. I like the fact these are autosexing and they are beautiful birds. Got the notification this morning that they are on there way. :celebrate Now if they just make it safe and sound we will be ready to set next week when they get here. Have some of my own eggs hatching this weekend. Lockdown was last night. On a sadder note a coon got my broody hen and most of her eggs last night.:hit There were a few eggs that still looked okay so I put them in the bator before I left for work. I'm so over the racoons this year!!! I've lost 10 older chicks in less than a week to the stupid vermin! :mad:

Does the air cell not return to the fat end of the egg? I did hear of this happening a time or two. I'd keep an eye on it if that is the case as that can be an extra challenge at hatching time. What are the air bubbles? The best test for avoiding exploding egg in my experience has been the sniff test.

The ill-fated turkey eggs I got a week late and set had to be pulled as they were clear one of them was stinking. I think turkeys aren't meant to be for me this year as this is the second try. The other attempt was a local swap for ducklings and the guy drove almost an hour to my house and forgot the turkey eggs. haha...

To console myself, I set 3 new duck breeds. I do so love my ducks!
It does not. It's really pretty settled right where it's at. How should I position it? Sorry about the turkey eggs... I think ducks will be next year for me. We need a pond first but I'm already researching breeds and building a wish list.

Back
Top Bottom