July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.2%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 60 34.9%

• Total voters
Pics
I shut the big coop door so she’d have some privacy lol and now I’m leaving her be 😂🤣🙈🙈

But look at her faces 😂🤣😂🤣

ECCE1BC4-E60E-4893-92CB-E47E0E5936F8.jpeg
97C95534-0ACD-479F-B42D-EAC105FD619B.jpeg

.....buying more eggs...... :oops:
:lau I wasn’t gonna hatch any more, I was being good, but then Freckles decided to go broody and I’m like WELP! Can’t deny her!!! :lau

I just wish she would have gone broody in the woods and then magically appeared with chicks 3 weeks later so I could have been like I didn’t know!!! :lau 🙈🙈

But seriously I’m glad she chose the boxes. Smart girl lol

:lau I wasn’t gonna hatch any more, I was being good, but then Freckles decided to go broody and I’m like WELP! Can’t deny her!!! :lau

I just wish she would have gone broody in the woods and then magically appeared with chicks 3 weeks later so I could have been like I didn’t know!!! :lau 🙈🙈

But seriously I’m glad she chose the boxes. Smart girl lol

I won't be buying hardly any next year. Working on building the flock with breeds that are hard to find here and planning to hatch and sell day old chicks - full blood and specific crosses. Re-purchased the Bresse eggs that USPS messed up shipping and just ordered some Opal Legbars where I am down to 2 out of the 8 that I got in my first order (new seller).

My buff silkie just decided to go broody yesterday. But, we will just say, she is not the brightest crayon in the box. I know that she had not gotten up to eat or drink since she decided to be broody yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if she forgot there was water and food to be honest. I picked her up and carried her to water this morning and seemed to completely forget about brooding after she got a drink as she went silkie galloping off into the big chicken yard to go chase grasshoppers with the other chickens. I guess we will see if she is sitting again when I go close up tonight. I won't mind if I break her from brooding. I also have a RIR that has been broody for a long time. I am hoping she breaks soon. I would give her chicks, but I really don't trust day olds in the pen with a bunch of rowdy "teenage" chickens (3 months and under) and pushy ducks. Not to mention my farm cats would probably get in the pen and eat them right up. And I really don't have another pen to put her in right now.

So I guess my early July hatch will have to be considered a late June hatch. Day 21 is not till Thursday and I already have 27 chicks hatched and the rest are pipped! :confused: All look healthy so no complaints about that. The only thing weirder about this hatch is I used a flat turner, the kind that rolls the eggs and 20% have pipped at the wrong end. In all the chicks I’ve hatched this season I’ve only had one chick do that and it made it out fine. I have at least 3/4 right now that are pipped that way, one even has a little blood on it but I’m a let nature take its course kinda girl so I guess we will see.:fl

Back
Top Bottom