July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Pics
Yes. I already have it packed to send back to Amazon. I was so disappointed. I really wanted it to work. My youngest son is a police officer and has given us a couple of really high intensity flashlights and that's the best I've found so far. Still, I haven't been able to see into most of these dark eggs. :idunno:idunno
I think some of them you just have to either trust, or weigh them and calculate the water loss by that. DH has a super bright one given him by his techie son that I use for opaque eggs. It doesn't always work, either. I have a $20 one that works for most.

For quail eggs people use their phone light because it's such a fine beam it can shine through the bits where there are no spots. I don't know whether that would help, but you might try it, in case.

So I weighed my eggs and inspected each one. I found a pinpoint spot on one of them that I guess you would treat like a crack although it's not actually a cracked egg. It's more of a dimple where the shell didn't form but the membrane under the shell is there and intact. It's just a tiny dot of a spot about the size of the end of a matchstick. I melted some wax and tried my best to fill the hole. It was hard to do because there's no cracks to spread it into. I hope this is making sense.... anyway, IF I'M MAKING SENSE, do you think it will be okay? I can't see inside the egg to even see an air cell. So I don't know how I will be able to check it's progress. Thoughts?
Once the air cell starts growing you might be able to see it. You hold the end of the flashlight on the broad end of the egg (or on the air cell if you see it), using your thumb & index finger to occlude light around the edges of the flashlight.

I hatched my first eggs about a week ago. I made sure everything was perfect then on hatch day we finally got a pip. The next day we got another that pipped and hatched before the first. We only had 3 hatch one was a healthy Barred Rock. The other 2 was not so good. We had to help a White Rock that was stuck and the other chick came out with a deformed leg. The chick that pipped first also had a deformed leg. We ordered these eggs 3 out of 11 eggs hatched the one we helped and the one with a deformed leg died a few days later😭😭. Was this all my fault or the hatchery's fault?

It's hard to say. I ordered super cheap e-bay eggs for my first try since I had no rooster. They sent more than twice the dozen eggs I paid for, but they were badly packed. I only hatched seven, of which I still have the two pullets. It was most likely (mainly) the USPS's fault, the seller's fault, and no doubt some of my own inexperience.

Did you buy from Meyer Hatchery? They have a pretty good rep, but I wouldn't buy eggs from them. I just think they're over-priced, even though doubtless well-packed. It's always a gamble. Even super well-packed eggs can have embryos damaged or destroyed if a box is dropped--just by the sudden stop when it hits the floor. Can you maybe buy eggs locally, just to learn on? If you don't want to keep the chicks, sell them on Craig's List.

No matter how experienced you may become, buying eggs to be shipped is always gonna be a gamble. IMO, if you want certain breeds, you're better off ordering them at your feed store. They typically don't charge you shipping, there usually isn't a small order charge or a minimum order size, and they won't call you at 0200 to come pick up your chicks at the post office 25 miles away. 🙄

I candled the BCM eggs that got shook up in the mail this morning. They are day 14, so should be able to see something if there is anything there......all of them are clear. :( I also candled the 7 Welsummer eggs that were left from the wreck of a shipment (day 7) and had 4 definite blood rings, 2 that I think are clears, and 1 that might have something but I am not sure. So pulled the 4 and put the other 3 back in the incubator. The lavender orpington eggs (day 15) - had to pull 1 quitter but theother 6 are looking good. And my 3 barnyard Frizzle Tolbunt Polish x Buff Orpington eggs are also doing well.

Just ordered another hovabator as I think the heating element in my little Janoel 12 is going out. I have the temp set as high as it will go and I can only get it to 98.5. It has been that way for a week or so now.

Also, I have 7 pheasants hatched and in the brooder tank with 2 more still cooking in the incubator.
I’ll have a few lavender orpington coming next week along with a few others for our colorful layers😍

Hello everyone.
We just got our coop set up, and found out that almost all of the types of chicks I wanted are all sold out. I raised about 5 hens many moons ago (mid-eighties), so I guess I’m the closest thing to a newby as they get. But I’ve been reading this forum almost daily for a good 6 years, and have been planning to have chickens for a long time. I’m no stranger to raising various critters.
My husband bought me a Brinsea incubator last Christmas, it holds 28 eggs.
Ordered a “colorful” fertile egg mixture from McMurray....in the hopes that some of those eggs will hatch a couple of blue egg layers and Copper Marans. Also bought a dozen fertile Delaware eggs, and French Copper Marans off eBay. All of these eggs are due to show up here around the same time, 20th of this month. I also ordered the high intensity candler to help me see through the dark Maran ones. I will have more eggs than my incubator will hold, and I’m hoping that I am blessed with some “beginners luck” 😏 so I’m here to join you, setting up to have the incubator running at least by the 4th of July at the very latest.
Nice to meet y’all and good luck and blessings to everyone.
Can’t wait to see what you end up with!

My eggs are being shipped today and tomorrow! WHAT IS IT about these chickens that manages to get one excited, nervous, and feeling like a brand new mom all over again? I am literally dreaming about them at night! I am so excited... and nervous... crossing my fingers that they travel easy on their journeys here. Five are coming from SC (ordered from eBay) and 36 are coming from Omega Hills. Everything should arrive by Wednesday if USPS doesn't mess up so here's praying! Oh, almost forgot to mention that I also have 16 live chicks coming around July 8th from Greenfire Farms.

:wee
Glad yours are expected mid week! Mine were expected on a Saturday and had to wait until Monday to pick them up. I had a bad feeling when I saw Saturday delivery date. The anticipation is killer!

Back
Top Bottom