Jumbo Cornish X vs. Freedom Rangers

rick54

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
Rockford, Michigan
This is just my overview on these two birds that we are raising this year. We did the Cornish first, and once we figured out the best way to raise them without the early fatalities, they're a good bird. Withholding the feed for 12 hours proved to be way to go. We didn't have many of the leg problems or premature heart attacks like we did in the past. After 8 wks. we processed the birds and they all weighed 6 1/4 lbs. except for one at 5 1/4 and one at 7 1/2. The feed to weight conversion I thought was very good.

As for the Freedom Rangers (red), I'm not impressed with these birds at all, and will not go with them in the future. They are slow to put on weight. They go through an awful lot of feed as compared to the Cornish. They are currently 8 wks. old and I'd say they're about 3 1/2 lbs. They're just now starting to look as though they're starting to build meat. Up until now, they looked as though they were building skeletal structure rather than putting on meat. I do open up the pen in the morning and they forage all day long in the yard, which is not a trait of the Cornish. Towards dusk I fill the food trough with broiler feed which they usually have gone by noon the next day.

In the past, we've ordered Cornish Roasters from McMurray which was our first go at meat birds and liked these birds the best of all, and are our first choice. Our second choice would have to be the Jumbo Cornish X, which do take a little more care in raising.

I really don't know the difference between the Cornish Roasters and Jumbo Cornish X birds, but the Cornish Roasters are carefree birds to raise and will get just as big as the Cornish X. Just takes about 2 wks. longer.

Thanks for your thoughts! I did CornishX and Dixie Rainbows this year. The CXs were done in 2 batches 9weeks @6.5 lbs 'hanging weight' and 11weeks @ 9.5-10.5 lbs 'hanging weight'

I am doing the 13 week old rainbows this weekend and plan to share my results after since everyone always wants to know this kind of stuff. I might look into the Cornish roasters you talk about

KlopKlop, thank you for the verification on the Cornish X's. I know nothing about the Dixie Rainbow birds.

As for the Cornish Roaster, as I mentioned, I did get them through McMurray. I haven't seen that specific named bird advertised anywhere else for sale other than through McMurray. I have had folks take a guess as to what it was, such as some kind version of the X and so on. But nobody has exactly said what it is for sure or where else one may be able to purchase the chicks. It would be nice to know who else sells them as McMurray is kind of high in prices.

Dixie rainbows is a breed of heavy broilers that has been developed starting in the late 2000's. It looks very similar to the ranger breeds and most people claim it's the same. The big difference is that the rainbows NOT a hybrid like the Rangers. They are supposed to breed true. I'm trying them out to see if I can raise a sustainable breed of broilers. One or two Roos and 6 pullets will get pardoned on butcher day this year and we will breed them in the spring. I also plan to try crossing it with a large buckeye Roo that I have.

They definitely aren't going to compete with CX on production but they seem to be filling out nicely with even proportions of leg/thigh and breast as expected. They definitely eat less than the CX and are good foragers with great demeanor.

Sounds Like the Cornish roaster is essentially the same thing as the jumbo CX just bred to grow a tad slower to prevent the leg issues you can see in CXs. They are still a hybrid.

Last edited:
I case you are still curious, My Rainbows went to freezer camp today at 13 weeks. One cockerel and 5 pullets got pardoned for next years breeding program.

I'm impressed with their body structure. Of course they aren't a CX but there seems to be a fair amount of breast meat. The cockerels were 4-4.5 lbs dressed and the 2 pullets were closer to the 3.5. They should be the perfect size for a 2 person meal.
Out of 21 we had 15 cox and 6 pullets which is a great mix for straight run broilers. They came from hoovers hatchery in Iowa. They took longer than the CX but they eat less and ranged more especially the last 3 weeks

I currently have a batch going of straight run rainbows and rangers from hoover, in with them are a batch of straight run isa brown layers so it's hard for me to say what the actual feed conversion will be, this is my first time with these breeds and what I notice is that the rangers seem to be running a little bigger than the rainbows at this point but not by much. I haven't had any issues with legs or anything and I do free range them since about 6 weeks age. One thing I noticed and was surprised by is that they do eat a lot of feed even with free ranging, they have been fed free choice and don't eat any less when they range than if they don't. They are 11 weeks now and my roosters are at a live weight of around 5lbs 5oz. I was going to butcher next weekend but may wait 2 weeks to get some more weight on them. I like the birds but they are definitely eating more than I planned on.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see this thread mention the rainbows. We ordered a straight run batch of 25 from McMurray that will be here this weekend. We originally ordered 6 with our last order for dual purpose & ended up with all roosters. We were so surprised with their size & docile, curious personalities that we want to use them as a sustainable meat breed. We are some of the original roo's today, they are about 15 weeks old. Can't wait to see the weights of these big boys! We are hoping for 6 hens out of the new order :) I hear they are great layers also.

Back
Top Bottom