Looks great! Huge for 4 quail, they must be loving it! Is the ground lined with mesh as well? How long have you had your hobbits?
No mesh on the ground but there’s a wire skirt around the whole enclosure to stop predators getting in. They seem to like it. And I do too. I can walk in and rake occasionally. They are 7 weeks old. None of them are easy to feather sex so I am waiting to hear crowing. So far none yet. So I may be lucky and have girls?

No mesh on the ground but there’s a wire skirt around the whole enclosure to stop predators getting in. They seem to like it. And I do too. I can walk in and rake occasionally. They are 7 weeks old. None of them are easy to feather sex so I am waiting to hear crowing. So far none yet. So I may be lucky and have girls?
Well that's exciting! Do you plan on breeding them or do you have them just for eggs?

Well that's exciting! Do you plan on breeding them or do you have them just for eggs?
For eggs. But I think I will keep breeding them to keep the flock going. They don’t live long compared to chickens. I have to work out some sort of breeding program to introduce new birds into the mix. Currently because of lock down I can only source them from one breeder locally. So I am breeding brother-sister. I don’t know how often this breeder replenishes her stock so I am worried about inbreeding. We’ll see how we go.

For eggs. But I think I will keep breeding them to keep the flock going. They don’t live long compared to chickens. I have to work out some sort of breeding program to introduce new birds into the mix. Currently because of lock down I can only source them from one breeder locally. So I am breeding brother-sister. I don’t know how often this breeder replenishes her stock so I am worried about inbreeding. We’ll see how we go.
Yeah I've found it hard to find a breeder local to me as well, finally found one but still an hours drive away so I have to wait until lockdown lifts (hopefully next weekend!). Where abouts are you?

Managed to finish the landscaping today, and found a beautiful hollow log on the property that we cut up to make 3 hidey holes. Plus a hollow cement block that I figure the ladies will like as well.

I ended up keeping the 'step' up, which turned out to be just a kind of slope since I needed to build up the entire aviary floor with more dirt than I'd expected in order to plant into it. I also popped two of the hidey holes at the back, which is the top of the slope, to try to encourage the quail to spend time up there if the slope is still too high for them. I'm hoping it isn't! Worse case scenario I'll just have to build up the rest of the floor to be level.

20210905_141803.jpg

The photo is standing where the door will be, looking down the aviary. The outside is still a mess, so ignore everything outside of the timber frame!

I found some offcuts from when we slabbed up a log to make garden beds, and have used the two ends with bark up against the back corners (you can see the one behind the concrete block) to make it feel a little more woodsey rather than behind totally encircled by corrugated roofing which is what I'll clad that back section with.

Ended up leaving room by the door for the waterer and feeder as per @FloorCandy 's suggestion!

It was too wet today for more building, but hopefully this week we can line the aviary and put the roof on! :wee

Yeah I've found it hard to find a breeder local to me as well, finally found one but still an hours drive away so I have to wait until lockdown lifts (hopefully next weekend!). Where abouts are you?
In Sydney. So 10km radius is the limit due to lockdown. Not keen on having the eggs delivered because AusPost has been slow in delivering parcels of late. Will just have to wait it out.

The aviary is looking real nice. Love the greenery. I haven’t planted anything in mine yet. Just around the outside.

In Sydney. So 10km radius is the limit due to lockdown. Not keen on having the eggs delivered because AusPost has been slow in delivering parcels of late. Will just have to wait it out.

The aviary is looking real nice. Love the greenery. I haven’t planted anything in mine yet. Just around the outside.
I was looking on gumtree this morning (ever hopeful a breeder will be advertising in my area) and there are some in East Ryde, Hornsby and Castle Hill at the moment if that's helpful, although I'm sure you're all over it! I'm up in the Forster/Taree are and I'm really limited out here, I've resorted to asking anyone local that I meet if they know anyone :gig

Thanks! The landscaping was what I was looking forward to most. Most of the plants are only young so should bush out as they get older, providing they don't become lunch! I'll be planting around the outside once the walls are up. I found it quite challenging to find plants that were Australian and non-invasive that are safe for quail, so I've basically just guessed based on the info I could find on American plants! Fingers crossed I have chosen wisely! Did you have anything planted when the chickens were in there?

Back
Top Bottom