Did you have anything planted when the chickens were in there?
Nope. Chickens are worse than quail. They will rip everything out. I put some fake plant leaves in there for the moment for the quail. Upturned pots on their sides with sugarcane mulch in it and they love it. Tree stumps. They pretty much stay on the ground. They are so cute. Much easier than chickens. I can understand why people say they suit suburbia more so than chickens. Much quieter.

You can always put up a “wanted” post in Gumtree for quail/quail eggs (locally)? It’s free? Not everyone advertises. You could get lucky.

A small update on our build! The mesh and roofing are on, just need to fill the gaps between the timber and the corrugation - apparently you can get a foam strip that mirrors the line of the corrugation so going to check out the hardware store tomorrow, otherwise might have to resort to expanding foam.

It rained a lot this week (hence slow progress) and I'm happy to say that the ground inside the aviary is nice and dry, as I was worried it would get wet being so open.
Door is next, if I can catch the boyfriend in an obliging mood :gigQuail are coming this weekend so it's gotta be done!
20210916_152825.jpg

Nope. Chickens are worse than quail. They will rip everything out. I put some fake plant leaves in there for the moment for the quail. Upturned pots on their sides with sugarcane mulch in it and they love it. Tree stumps. They pretty much stay on the ground. They are so cute. Much easier than chickens. I can understand why people say they suit suburbia more so than chickens. Much quieter.

You can always put up a “wanted” post in Gumtree for quail/quail eggs (locally)? It’s free? Not everyone advertises. You could get lucky.
Yes I'm looking forward to their famous low maintenance!

I tried gumtree but can't seem to post a wanted ad in the birds/livestock category, only a selling ad, which then wants to charge me. Annoying!

Back
Top Bottom