June 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
The thin whispy cord is fine to pinch off, if it is thick and gooey that could be intestines. It is normal for the umbilical cord to be connected right after hatch, and it should drop off, but I have seen complications with it still connected if the chick wants to crawl about.
Interesting. There was what looked like fecal content and a grey blob— She looks fine, pooped in the incubator, dried off and is in the brooder. Ate some crumble, pooped so I’m assuming the GI tract is intact.

All my Friday chicks are out...here are the last 2...
18s.PNG

Below are the other chicks that hatched out earlier in the week...
And the yellow headed one was another Friday chick...
18r.PNG

Below is the yellow headed chick with one of the last ones...
18t.PNG

I went by the community recycle, and found this guy...
mari.PNG

Last edited:
This is okay to clip...
18uu.PNG

Only the cord NOT up close to the butt. Just to disconnect.
This is what you don't want to clip
Below
18ui.PNG

Don't clip this part. This is an example of a chick (from the internet) That someone helped out of the egg. Usually if it is helped it is too soon to come from the egg. This chick may or most likely didn't live.

That is intestines and you don't clip those.

This is okay to clip...
View attachment 3553735
Only the cord NOT up close to the butt. Just to disconnect.
This is what you don't want to clip
Below
View attachment 3553736
Don't clip this part. This is an example of a chick (from the internet) That someone helped out of the egg. Usually if it is helped it is too soon to come from the egg. This chick may or most likely didn't live.

That is intestines and you don't clip those.
Thank you- pics were very helpful.
The first picture of thin cord is what I saw.

Momma hen BLRW, "Blob" got the 5 older chicks last night, I did put her in a bigger lay box so she would not crush a chick, in the AM I moved her to an enclosed area away from the other hens, She did end up squishing a baby, last night (this happens) it was a female black LO. Where she is now she will not squish. I gave her the other 3 babies too. I will get a picture later today. She has 7 currently.

First incubator hatch! Day 18 today, I candled all 9 and there was life in all of them. Added a bit of water and now wait…. I’m pretty terrified for hatch day. My new cheap incubator has had the humidity all over the place till I figured it out with a hygrometer I placed during week 2. I have a wonderful broody momma anxiously awaiting at least 1 baby so praying I haven’t done anything to mess this up. Wish me luck!!

Attachments

• IMG_8787.jpeg
    IMG_8787.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom