June 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Hi everyone!
I ended up with 49 in this hatch. 19 went to a lovely person who wanted Easter Eggers (saved her chicks from blue & green eggs…roos at the farm are also EE), and 29 are going to their new farm tomorrow. One had splay leg that I was able to correct. I had my first failure to thrive…looked like a bantam when the rest kept getting bigger. Lasted about 4 days and died peacefully in the evening.

I have my new chick order arriving next week, and the following week some quail hatching eggs. That should be the last hatch of 2023…I don’t know what I’ll do with myself after that! Good thing I have new additions on the way & staying!

Next year I want to keep some of my hatchlings, but have to have a plan if the cockerels start crowing early. I don’t mind having them for meat, but they have to get big enough & stay quiet until then…lol.

55611149-F42E-4079-BCBF-BD75E886921D.jpeg

Day 21, 8 chicks are out and I have 2 pips, one at the wrong end. Some of the chicks are desperate to get out of the incubator 😅

Do broody hens go into "lock down" like we do for eggs in incubators? By that I mean do they not get up for 2 days? Or do they still do their daily trip up to eat and drink?
No, they get up but as the time approaches they do so less and less.

It's one of the reasons I'm not so gung-ho on keeping completely away and not even daring to breathe in the room the incubator is in. I open it all the time and check the eggs, lol.

We have been windy yuck.
My broody hen got 5 eggs that are almost day 14.
She is excited about eggs, and put straw on her head.
j18c.PNG

The 5 eggs she got are store eggs, from local farm.
j18d.PNG

Below are the eggs to the back are day 18, 4-5, then the ones to the front 4-5 are due 3 days after. the blue egg and the extra dark egg (to the left) are store eggs all the other eggs are from my friend with the lavender rooster. He was fertile, but my friend's hens were older. Not all the eggs developed. Blue egg to the far back is a store egg with the nailpolish. It is still going. Day 14, but the moisture will be good because with a crack it may lose moisture too fast.
j18.PNG

Below I have 16 in a pen that can see into adult hens pen...5 weeks old
j18e.PNG

8 week old chicks in a diff pen.
j18b.PNG

And some adult hens running about.
j18a.PNG

Ok guys, I know I said I’m done hatching chickens for the year, but my neighbor just called in a panic. Her hen has been sitting for about 3 weeks, she was super mean and agressive when she tried to remove her a few times so she just let her sit. She finally caught her off the nest and said the poor thing looks terrible…

She grabbed the eggs and brought them to me. (She doesn’t have a candler or incubator). 9 are viable. I’m going to try to hatch them for her, but I don’t know when to start lockdown. A few eggs look like they have been growing for a week, so I’ll hand them them. The others look much further along but I can’t tell how far. If any hatch, she’s going to sneak them under the momma at night.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• FA8DFB81-52DE-40AB-92A8-7B6A4F5D6C2C.jpeg
    FA8DFB81-52DE-40AB-92A8-7B6A4F5D6C2C.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 51731B8D-A201-4221-A85E-2EEEFE1E1969.jpeg
    51731B8D-A201-4221-A85E-2EEEFE1E1969.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 7BF99F1D-400F-431E-A1C1-EBFD1F5E3933.jpeg
    7BF99F1D-400F-431E-A1C1-EBFD1F5E3933.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 1

Back