June hatch-a-long!

Pics
Im so happy to find this thread! Its my first hatch and i seven buff orp eggs under a broody buff orp. They should be due to hatch on the 23rd and its the hens first time too. I just hope she sticks with it.

The brood:

Attachments

• IMG_20180601_184201_527.jpg
    IMG_20180601_184201_527.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 4
I have a broody duck sitting on 5 eggs. One egg is on day 4 of incubation and is due to hatch on the 29th. The other 4 are on day 3 and due on the 30th. All five appear to be developing. This is the first time Willow has gone broody so we'll see how she does.
20180603_163453_copy.jpg

Here's a pic of one of the eggs that is on day 3. It's not super clear in the photo, but you can just start to see signs of life.
20180605_162030copy.jpg

The duck egg that is on day 4. One day really makes a difference!
20180605_162019.jpg

Broodies 2 and 3 have finished hatching their clutches. Sadly, another hen tried to steal broody 2's nest mid- hatch and smothered one of the call duck babies before I could move her to the brooder box :hitThat little polish is actually hiding 5 chicks under her, in addition to the duck you can see :)

:love Adorable babies and gorgeous mama hens!

Sorry about the baby call duck.:(

I feel bad, I know my little call duck’s 4 eggs are due to hatch soon so I gently nudged her with a stick (she’s really really vicious for such a teeny duck!) and saw a half -hatched egg with no movement and no vocalizing. I gently rolled the egg towards me, intending to dispose of it (she bit me twice in the process) and discovered a baby still absorbing its yolk and very much alive even with half its shell off (strangely, it was a side-half missing, like duck on the half-shell). So I carefully pushed it back to her. Shame on me for meddling. I hope I didn’t mess things up. I will leave her strictly alone!!:fl

2 more broodies’ clutches are hatching. I would say “right on schedule” but since I can’t remember when they started setting... trying to decide whether to put the last 5 eggs in the incubator under broody 6 - I put 4 under her 3 days ago. They seem to be doing OK so far...I’d rather let the momma do the hatching if possible...the eggs in the ‘bator were some from a nest where hens had been laying new eggs onto the old for an undetermined amount of time...couldn’t risk putting them in cartons for my customers!!

So, questions: lockdown begins at 7:45am this Saturday. Do/should I turn the eggs one last time before that?

Should I candle one last time that morning?

I would personally candle just before lock down and mark the air cells.

In the incubation and hatching thread there was a bit that suggested placing the eggs with the lowest top of the air cell up as it's the most likely hatching position and let's you easily see any pips. I thought that sounded like a really good idea!

Back
Top Bottom