June Hatch-A-Long

Whaaaaaat.

my flock leader proven broody killed another. And BUSTED OUT OF THE COVERED NEST BOX. She met me at the fence clucking and I knew shit hit the fan. Two lucky little eggs have not started to pip yet under her and I put those under the other broody. I bet she has 8 or 9 eggs. That means if I call the two stepped on late term chicks as intentional earlier this week, she killed 5 hatching chicks over several days. Maybe 6 if the one under the other broody actually makes it. I probably should have fired up the incubator for that one but hindsight is 20/20. I also should ripped those eggs from the awful broody and ripped her head off too.

did I say that out loud?
I would not let her hatch eggs ever again

Whaaaaaat.

my flock leader proven broody killed another. And BUSTED OUT OF THE COVERED NEST BOX. She met me at the fence clucking and I knew shit hit the fan. Two lucky little eggs have not started to pip yet under her and I put those under the other broody. I bet she has 8 or 9 eggs. That means if I call the two stepped on late term chicks as intentional earlier this week, she killed 5 hatching chicks over several days. Maybe 6 if the one under the other broody actually makes it. I probably should have fired up the incubator for that one but hindsight is 20/20. I also should ripped those eggs from the awful broody and ripped her head off too.

did I say that out loud?
Killing hens need a little queen of hearts action. "Off with their heads!". :oops:

Whaaaaaat.

did I say that out loud?
Wow! :th What’s going on? Is this the hen with fowl pox?

Well I had to assist the last 5 eggs two drowned inside the eggs :( now just waiting on the last 2 to fully hatch so my total is 15 cute fuzz balls.
Yay the last two hatch but both are having some issues , 1 has a crooked neck like it grew wrong and the other has sprayed legs and curled toes , i made it a brace and shoes though .
20200607_204247.jpg

So I finally cracked and bought 3 cartons from Whole Foods to hatch (the person nearby I was originally going to buy celadon quail eggs from got super swamped with orders so I was tired of waiting). Eggs are around 9 days old which is good enough for me! (yes, I have chicken themed decor for my kitchen :p ). Rock Island rep let me know that their eggs are Leghorn/Rhode Island crosses.

IMG_7375.jpeg

IMG_7377.jpeg

So I went to the store to buy a carton of eggs, just so I can use the carton for my other shipped eggs arriving later today (the Marans/orpingtons), and I figured I would get fertilized eggs as long as I was buying eggs anyway. Spontaneous idea, as I have read on some of these threads that some folks have had success hatching store bought eggs. I picked out the ones that had the best looking air cells (better looking than the ameraucanas I got yesterday!) I thought I would throw them in the extra incubator I have and just let them do their thing without any real intervention from me. Just letting them get up to room temperature first. What do you all think? Have any of you ever tried this? Thought it would be a kick if any of them hatched. Don't know what kind they are, probably some kind of production red (eggs are brown).:)
I have hatched 5 chicks from 24 grocery store eggs before (the eggs were around 2 weeks old). The carton was marked fertile, I haven't tried it with regular free range/cage free ones. If the Julian date is recent (around 7 days or less) you might have a good chance of getting a few to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom