June Hatch-A-Long

I'm bouncing in to announce that I've got a small Silkie test-batch of seven eggs hatching right now - it turns out Paint Boy and Grey Girl (because apparently Paint Boy did not do his job with Paint Girl) produce three paint and one maybe-blue-maybe-grey-IDK so far, with two more eggs pipped and one I think might not make it.

I also have 15 BBS eggs from a local breeder that are due to hatch of Friday, and 5 more of the paint/grey due tuesday-ish.

As soon as those are all done, I'm setting some mad-scientist eggs for giggles - Phoenix/Ayam Cemani, and Giant Cochin/Ayam Cemani. Then I'm putting my incubators away for the year. I swear it!

My 11 silkie eggs all hatched!
I had 17, but 5 didn't develop, and 2 were early quitters.
So now I've got some fluffy babies and they're so cute. We're still figuring out what we're going to do with them all.

I'm probably going to be quietly squealing about all these precious chicks and wishing you guys the best. But I'll be back next week to let you know how the rest of my June babies are doing.
Next week my broody hen will hatch some more Orpington chicks.
Then the week after that my other broody hen's nest will hatch too. ...and then I think that'll be enough chicks for one year.

So 9 chicks have hatched.

My question mark egg was a quitter around the same day as the others.

So hatch rate was 100% but not overall from day 0 since all 12 were fertile.

I assisted the 9th chick because it just seemed to be struggling. It didn’t have any blood vessels, everything was dried up but the chicks just kept pecking at the feathers that were sticking out of the hole. It is healthy.

They’re all sleeping and resting now 🥰

3 ended up being white but you can tell there is a bit of a chipmunk tint to them.

I’m excited to see how they grow up to be feather wise.

06163F18-3FD1-4896-A781-D327A4079AC3.jpeg

Sorry for 3 posts in a row. I just remembered what I was going to ask.

So my kids who are soon to be 4 ended up knocking over the incubator top and three chicks fell to the ground. Maybe two feet for sure less than 3 ft height.

They are fine and alive. But will the fall cause issues growing up? Or are they built to withstand something like that?

So my kids who are soon to be 4 ended up knocking over the incubator top and three chicks fell to the ground. Maybe two feet for sure less than 3 ft height.

They are fine and alive. But will the fall cause issues growing up? Or are they built to withstand something like that?
I doubt it. A lot of hen hatched chicks have to jump/crash down from whatever crazy nesting place mom chooses, even the 10' hay loft, so I'm guessing they will be just fine.

I doubt it, baby chicks are a lot like baby humans - made of rubber!

I did a candle today of my eggs that are due in a few days. Well five more days if I have done all the math correct. I saw good movement in the lavender Americanna. The Death layers have 3 left all still have life kicking around, but they look like they might be two days behind. But oh boy are their air cells on these chicken eggs horribly wonky reminding me of mountains.

on my experiment eggs from my black East Indies they had a good amount of shadowing. But there are two experiment eggs that looked suspicious to me. One had a mild smell so I pulled it, being as there were no veins and yulk like appearance.

Two days left till lockdown.

How long can I keep em in the incubator?

I was going to take them out and place them in my bathroom but I figured I could just leave them in the incubator til tomorrow morning.

The first two hatched early this morning like 3am and it’s now past 10pm
Should be able to do a little over 24 hours or until they are start to move pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom