June Hatch-A-Long

Hi All, it’s been a crazy few weeks and I fell off of this thread. I wanted to share a quick update of how our hatches went:
1) Broody chicken: I think that Naruto hatched 4 OEs that were BCMx Ameraucana but only one of blue. I’d love for it to be a pullet but it acts pretty bold... Also hatched 5 BCM and 2 back cross OEs, the line that my DD is trying to create. Only one of those made it, but I think it may be a pullet! Chicks are almost three weeks old now and we are giving them part of the day in the run, still separates from most of the flock. Naruto is head hen and could protect them, but it’s so nice to see her relaxed and not constantly stressed like she was last year. We need to open it all up soon though.

2) Incubator guineas: we set 42 eggs and had... 6 clears and early quitters? These were accidentally hatched (first few hatched at 25 days!) upright in the turner and that didn’t go well. Keets got caught between turner and incubator wall, then we had multiple with spraddle leg. Never hatching in the turner again, even if an egg did pip! We got pearl, purple, lavender, and lavender pied keets but no slate or violet, the colors I was hoping for.

3) Broody guineas: I could write a book about this whole thing... One guinea hen got sick just as keets were hatching! I was sure it was bird flu or mycoplasma and was freaking out. A week later necropsy results showed some reproductive tract infection then sepsis. Viceroy hatches 4 of the 6 eggs I’d left her, all pearl. One other egg I opened and the keet was malpositioned (Head between legs) and the last egg I never found... :sick Viceroy did so well, so I felt terrible that two hens stole her babies. On a major stormy day, a huge black rat snake entered the coop door and caused major chaos, resulting in two dead keets (one eaten and one flew into a bad spot in the coop), broodies to abandon nests etc. Two keets remain and are 2 weeks old and doing well. I only have one broody hen left after the snake, and I bought 12 expensive eggs (slate, Violet, white that I wanted to add) when I had three still broody, before the snake business.
Welcome back! Sorry it’s been so hectic!!!!! Are the two remaining meets with Viceroy?

Welcome back! Sorry it’s been so hectic!!!!! Are the two remaining meets with Viceroy?
Nope. Lemon Pie is the second most dominant hen I have, and apparently she has a thing for keets. She stole them from Viceroy and viciously attacks Viceroy whenever she is anywhere near the keets. Then, Lemon Pie gave the keets to her friend Scout Red to raise. SR has been a good mom, but sometimes roosts at night instead of staying on the ground with the keets! Trying to make the broody guinea thing work is so challenging!!!

Nope. Lemon Pie is the second most dominant hen I have, and apparently she has a thing for keets. She stole them from Viceroy and viciously attacks Viceroy whenever she is anywhere near the keets. Then, Lemon Pie gave the keets to her friend Scout Red to raise. SR has been a good mom, but sometimes roosts at night instead of staying on the ground with the keets! Trying to make the broody guinea thing work is so challenging!!!
I'm not sure of your set up, but when I had guineas they were never able to keep their own keets alive, so if I had a broody chicken I would pop them under her.

Question for experienced hatchers: is it normal for there to be a slight odour in the incubator once a chick has been hatched in there for about 12 hours? It doesn’t smell rotten, just not great.

I have a really sensitive nose, so I think if I had a rotten one I’d know. 😬
Yes once you clean out the nasty water underneath it’ll help... not that the water you put in is nasty, but it gets nasty as time goes on in the hatch especially when they start popping out.

ARGHHHHHH no wayyyyyyyyyyy. One day it will happen.

I'm not sure of your set up, but when I had guineas they were never able to keep their own keets alive, so if I had a broody chicken I would pop them under her.
I don’t brood keets with hens to keep the guineas from being aggressive to the chickens. This whole two year experiment has actually been about tarting to get the guineas to successfully brood the keets so they integrate them into the flock. This is my best success so far! :gig

Back
Top Bottom