June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Okay all, I’ve got a question.

4.5 week old chicks. Almost fully feathered, huddle together at night. Broody raised. She is attempting to get them on the roost so I assume she is almost done.

hawk incessantly fighting for the chicks the last three days. Every day. FIGHTS with mom. I know this isn’t ending well.

this Hawk is only after the chicks. Its here always and normally eats snakes. I just took apart my separate coop I could have put them in to clean up to put our place on the market.

Should I sell all the chicks as a group and just take them from mama?

should I sell mama with the chicks so they have the transition together? Will she dump then in the stress of a new place as soon as they get there anyway? Since she is attempting to be roosting at night (they all roosted together first night, last night they screamed and huddled in the corner and she finally went back at dark) should I just take them from her?

ideas?

Okay all, I’ve got a question.

4.5 week old chicks. Almost fully feathered, huddle together at night. Broody raised. She is attempting to get them on the roost so I assume she is almost done.

hawk incessantly fighting for the chicks the last three days. Every day. FIGHTS with mom. I know this isn’t ending well.

this Hawk is only after the chicks. Its here always and normally eats snakes. I just took apart my separate coop I could have put them in to clean up to put our place on the market.

Should I sell all the chicks as a group and just take them from mama?

should I sell mama with the chicks so they have the transition together? Will she dump then in the stress of a new place as soon as they get there anyway? Since she is attempting to be roosting at night (they all roosted together first night, last night they screamed and huddled in the corner and she finally went back at dark) should I just take them from her?

ideas?
Probably by the time you find a buyer she will be all done with the chicks. And I'm betting in the stress of the change she would dump the chicks if you sold them all together. Besides, with her fighting the hawk so well I'd think she'd be an asset at the new place. If you are taking chickens I mean.
When I moved I brought only some of my chickens with me, but chose them carefully for specific reasons.

Probably by the time you find a buyer she will be all done with the chicks. And I'm betting in the stress of the change she would dump the chicks if you sold them all together. Besides, with her fighting the hawk so well I'd think she'd be an asset at the new place. If you are taking chickens I mean.
When I moved I brought only some of my chickens with me, but chose them carefully for specific reasons.
Yeah that’s a dumb thought of mine, She is a MASSIVE asset. I figure she would dump them at their age and with added stress.

they go as a group like they’re going off to college then. :)

Im super sad a couple chicks I was really looking forward to.

but.... my baby geese get the grow out pen I have left.... and.... I’m SMITTEN with them so they get what they want. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah that’s a dumb thought of mine, She is a MASSIVE asset. I figure she would dump them at their age and with added stress.

they go as a group like they’re going off to college then. :)

Im super sad a couple chicks I was really looking forward to.

but.... my baby geese get the grow out pen I have left.... and.... I’m SMITTEN with them so they get what they want. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
You've been goose pecked. ☺

(what kind of geese??)

You've been goose pecked. ☺

(what kind of geese??)
Sebastopols. I got a trio, they’re ten days old. This was their first night here. I just can’t with the cuteness.

877A5891-B8F7-4D3E-99FA-C9535A726DBA.jpeg

It's my first time incubating eggs. Today is day 14, and they all have nice big veins, and pretty much look like what the internet says they should by today. So can I assume we're good to go for hatch day, or should I still candle again at day 18?

I have hatching, 2 standard polish, 8 bantam cochins, 1 standard olive egger, and two silkies.

Back
Top Bottom