June Hatch-A-Long

I have been doing an experiment on the ring/nail test (where you tie a ring or nail to a piece of string and dangle it over a chick to determine it's gender). Knighstar679 has been following along and reporting on their ducks reading and resulting gender. Knighstar679 is at about 40-50% accuracy on the gender test while I am still waiting for my chicks to grow out for results. Anyway....I have done a couple mini experiments within the experiment and one of those was to see if you could pick up a gender reading on an egg and how early you could pick one up. I found that you can get a reading as early as 5 days (but am more comfortable with 7) and that the nail/ring will not show any movement over a clear, quitter, or dead in shell egg. (I have had 100% accuracy on the no nail movement over the clear, quitter, DIS eggs - I have left all the clear eggs in until at least day 7-10, blood rings are pretty obvious during candling and get removed right away, and I have left all DIS eggs in the hatcher until day 23-24 just to make sure.) So that is the trick they are referring to.
So this is my mess for the June hatch-a-long. lol! :lau

The Sebastopol goose eggs are upright in the IncuView and barely fit (yes, I realize everything says to never incubate goose eggs upright but all of the air cells are completely detached sooo) and I went ahead and set all of the Buff English Orpington and Isabella Leghorn eggs in the Nurture Right even though I'm positive that the majority of them can't develop, I've decided to put them all in and see what happens because I'm apparently a glutton for punishment. :gig

View attachment 2168268View attachment 2168269View attachment 2168273View attachment 2168272View attachment 2168271
The idea is that you suspend a nail on a string over an egg. The developing birds natural megntic field usually will trigger the nail to move. No movement usually means dead egg.
I should have joined the hatch-a-long threads years ago!
Nails, rings, and glitter polish......I'm learning so many cool things!

My first eggs for my June hatch on the second just went into lock down today.

I officially have a broody Duck. This is day three she hasnā€™t got her fluffy hinny off the nest more than an hour or so.

34AAC3F1-4C11-4C18-8C0F-C0DFD3E423ED.jpeg
Here is her donā€™t mess with me look.

Guess I have two broody hens now
Silkie eggs hatch in 1 week!
1st broody hen should hatch the following week,
And now my 2nds broody hen might hatch the week after if she keeps sitting.

I did my last candling for the silkie eggs. I could probably candle the eggs under the 1st broody hen, but I'm just going to leave her be. I don't even know how many eggs she has under her or the other hen, just that they're camped out in different nesting boxes/coops.

Back
Top Bottom