June Hatch-A-Long

@Mixed flock enthusiast what would you do? @FortCluck?

@CluckNDoodle says she might roll the dice since it’s so close but not really sure.
Hi Jolenesdad, wow that sucks! I’m so sorry that you and your flock have to deal with this. It sounds to me like you are leaning towards leaving the eggs with broody, which is certainly a valid option. Since you asked, however, I myself would probably pull the eggs and hatch in the incubator, then vaccinate the chicks and any naive flock members. I guess my concern would be more about disease in the chicks rather than how the broody is doing, though breaking them at this point could be hard... ugh! A conundrum indeed! Stressful!:hugs

image.jpg

3/11 pipped!
Lots of soft chirping too.

I never allow them to go past Day 22. There are reference materials that say late hatchers are sometimes genetic and should be discouraged. Generally, I have found over the years that a chick that cannot hatch by that time is weak or is actually deformed and shouldn't hatch at all. There are exceptions to that like a chick that grew like a Baby Huey or is mal-positioned and is having a hard time of it in a small or elongated egg.

Today is hatch day. I have 8 pips of the 20 Brahmas so far, no zipping yet. They sure are taking a snooze and making me wait for #1 to get out. I expect, as usually happens, they'll soon begin popping like popcorn.
DSC06660.JPG
DSC06661.JPG

I was on the verge of thinking all four eggs were dead in shell until day 24 then one hatched over night! But stupid me left a gate open and the other hens killed the chick. Really bummed me out and was prepared to call it a failed hatch so I gave them one more night...

Say hello to June! Day 25 chick here, got one egg left to go, it cheeped so I'm happy really. I'm hoping if this one hatches then I can get her moved and settled into a different pen.

She (well I think it is) is a Welsummer.
IMG_20200606_115044.jpg

Hi Jolenesdad, wow that sucks! I’m so sorry that you and your flock have to deal with this. It sounds to me like you are leaning towards leaving the eggs with broody, which is certainly a valid option. Since you asked, however, I myself would probably pull the eggs and hatch in the incubator, then vaccinate the chicks and any naive flock members. I guess my concern would be more about disease in the chicks rather than how the broody is doing, though breaking them at this point could be hard... ugh! A conundrum indeed! Stressful!:hugs
Lawd. What a cluster.

So, I suppose I could give the older broody who has had fowl pox most or all the eggs and move them out of the coop once they have hatched. Grrr. I just rehomed 12 chickens the last week and a half to make coop space to keep everyone locked inside WITH the new chicks when showing the house or when hawks are out.

the infected broody has been broody for 5+ weeks now, I’m nervous if I cannot break her she is gonna be weakened by the whole process extension. And she killed those day olds. Crap. I think she needs to hatch Sunday. I’m rolling the dice.

vaccine says to administer before four weeks of lay and I don’t have any birds that young except the one 6 week old chick with the broody.

it says I’ve got to keep vaccinated separate for a while and I literally just broke down my other coop Thursday. I’d have to break both broodies to keep the chicks separate and I think that may end up being harder and more stressful than other options.

waaaaaaa. What a rough week or so.

a neighbor is coming to see our place today before we list It. Think positive thoughts they just buy it. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Lawd. What a cluster.

So, I suppose I could give the older broody who has had fowl pox most or all the eggs and move them out of the coop once they have hatched. Grrr. I just rehomed 12 chickens the last week and a half to make coop space to keep everyone locked inside WITH the new chicks when showing the house or when hawks are out.

the infected broody has been broody for 5+ weeks now, I’m nervous if I cannot break her she is gonna be weakened by the whole process extension. And she killed those day olds. Crap. I think she needs to hatch Sunday. I’m rolling the dice.

vaccine says to administer before four weeks of lay and I don’t have any birds that young except the one 6 week old chick with the broody.

it says I’ve got to keep vaccinated separate for a while and I literally just broke down my other coop Thursday. I’d have to break both broodies to keep the chicks separate and I think that may end up being harder and more stressful than other options.

a neighbor is coming to see our place today before we list It. Think positive thoughts they just buy it. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Hope they buy it then that’s one less thing on your plate

Lawd. What a cluster.

:fl :fl :fl

Back
Top Bottom